No announcement yet.

Ouch! anybody have crack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, have we got some gearheads here or not?! YEAH!!! I am constantly impressed!

Comment

Wow theres GSer's everywhere. i wonder if there are any in politics???
      Na!!!!
      Thanks, that is great information. For me anyway.
      But i enjoy reading tech books instead of a good story.
      I, am thinking one of the shops that make driveshafts would be a good canditate for repairing this.
      Now that i have it off and apart, there is actually an inner tube that the outer tube slides snuggly over before welding which greatly increases the accuracy of proper alignment.
      The second discovery after inspection is that it did not break all at once. Appears to have been cracked for a long time (rust and metal smoothing)
      The oldest crack areas are underneath and on the tire side. (very much out of sight) less a tear down. Not to scare anyone, but LOOK closely!!

If bwringer is not opposed i will send photos of the (2) seperated pieces for posting. Thanks bwringer for posting the photos above.

Comment

My server is ready when you are! Send the photos any time.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

More gory details from Nert:

I'm going to go give my swingarm a big kiss now...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

suggestion

I would tack the pieces together while still on the bike to try and hold the alignment until it can be positioned in a jig. A jig could be made from scrap wood to hold the pieces together, like an alignment table is used to build bicycle frames.

All GSers should inspect this area for cracks every time they change the oil in the differential, which for me is every year.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I think Nert already has a replacement swingarm on the way, so there's probably no need to weld the old one.

It could be welded if GS parts were all that scarce, but eBay is too full of old bikes that people have given up on.
              Eat more venison.

Comment

GOod point. Couldn't get my swingarm, as the van is in the shop (with the swingarm in the trunk....DOH!)

Also, any time you re-weld these things, its never as strong as something thats never cracked (and has no small fissures).

Comment

Working...
                X