Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pull and install wheel bearings correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pull and install wheel bearings correctly?

I got all new bearings for the wheels and plan on installing them this winter when I take the wheels off the gs for some detailing. How do I pull the bearings and install the new ones without hurting them/mashing them up in the process?

Do they have some kind of dust sheild?

Do I need to pack the new ones with grease and if so.....what kind? Looks like they are already lubed but not sure..... The shop manual says I need a special Suzuki tool to do the job, but no idea where to get the tool or how much $$$ it'll cost me. Anybody got some info on this? Thanks -D

To get the old bearings out, I use a drift and drive them out with a hammer. No big deal, you're not going to save them, so what if the inner race or bearings get messed up?

The new bearings should be sealed with a rubber seal, and are pre-lubed. Do not lube them further.

To install, find a socket the same diameter as the outer race, and just put the socket on the outer race, hit the socket with a rubber mallet. It's important that the socket wall should not hit the seal or inner race. You just want the socket wall to apply force to the outer race.

If you REALLY want to get fancy, find the correct size socket to match the outer race...then get a piece of threaded rod, a couple of nuts, and a few washers, put the threaded rod through the bearing and a washer/nut on the other side of the wheel, and pull the bearing in with the other nut/socket....

Comment

Excellent description, Bill.

I might add that you have to stick the drift through from the other side of the wheel and push the spacer tube to the side just enough to catch the inner race of the bearing with the drift. It took me a while to figure this out the first time.

A few hammer whacks, and the bearing should start to move a bit so that the spacer will move out of the way more. Move the drift to a different spot after each hammer strike so that the force is applied in a different place each time.

This process damages the old bearings because of the impact tranmitted through the balls. You can't remove and reinstall wheel bearings.

When you install the new bearings, you applying force directly to the outer race of the bearing, never to the inner race.

Don't forget to reinstall the spacer! the right way around!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed responses guys. I am unfortunately not sure what a "drift" is? Is that like a large flat head screwdriver like a chisel?

Glad that I don't have to do any greasing. Bearings are Factory new replacements. I was unaware of any spacers but will make sure to keep an eye out for them when removing and reinstalling. I got a socket set that will help me and even a few bolts to get fancy if I like. Thanks again. -D

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
          Thanks for the detailed responses guys. I am unfortunately not sure what a "drift" is? Is that like a large flat head screwdriver like a chisel?
          A drift is just a round metal bar, i prefer a bronze one as its softer and less likely to damage something that you dont intend to pound on

Comment

Wheel Bearings

I just removed mine . I used a punch with about a 1/4 inch shaft. No problem at all. You can then go to any bearing shop and they will match you with a set of sealed bearings (no need to pack these). They should be a lot cheaper than most bike shops. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
              A drift is just a round metal bar, i prefer a bronze one as its softer and less likely to damage something that you dont intend to pound on
              Ahhhh...that makes sense. I think I saw some guys on that biker buildoff series using a bronze hammer on some custom pieces to avoid damage.....

Originally posted by andyparsons
              I just removed mine . I used a punch with about a 1/4 inch shaft. No problem at all. You can then go to any bearing shop and they will match you with a set of sealed bearings (no need to pack these). They should be a lot cheaper than most bike shops. 8)
              Good idea, I paid way too much for these from Suzuki.....

Comment

If you have a heat gun, use it to get the area where the bearing will go nice and hot, then take your your new bearings out off the freezer and just drop em in. DONT FORGET THE SPACER !!!!! ( I did once)

Comment

Working...
                X