Help tech guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help tech guys!

For no apparent reason my GS1100 starts smoking at idle. Does it when it's hot does it when you first crank it. Does it when you rev it It bogs on acceleration with a valve rattle. Some gas poured out of the airbox. I tapped the bowls and it quit doing that though. I don't know how to adjust the carbs, is it running rich? this stuff drives me insane Please help

P.S It revs fine in neutral but it pops some when I let off. I don't know if this helps. The spark plugs on the right two cyclinders look fine. the plugs on the left two are kinda wet and black looking.

Comment

First thing to check: Pull the vacuum line on the petcock off the intake runner and check that there is no fuel in there. Put the petcock onto "on" and see if gentle suction on that vacuum line puts fuel in your mouth. Your symptoms are common when the diaphram in the vacuum operated petcock tears, allowing fuel to be pulled into that intake runner. A new petcock (about $45 USD on Ebay) worked for me.

Comment

I was having problems with my 850 pinging and smoking on one side ?? even with 91 octaine. During the last tune up I found two of the intake boots bad(on the side that smoked). I replaced the coils and intake boots & now I use 89/ 87 when it's cold and it doesn't ping and doesn't seem to smoke any more ???

Comment

You might have gas in your crankcase. If it flooded the airbox, you probably do. This would thin out your oil and get past the rings, causing smoke at all times. It could even have something to do with the noisier valvetrain.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X