Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Tire Question (and I searched first)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimcor is correct.

I put a new IRC Durotour on my E model earlier this year.
    The shop owner tolde me "be careful" it's new and slippery.
    Before I left his shop, took a piece of fine steel wool and went
    over the tire. He smiled as I was doing this.
    And then told about the guy with the big money HD that dumped it in front
    of the shop on brand new tires.
    Guess he didn't listen to Al's advice.....

Also NEVER Armor All your tires, more slippery stuff.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Also it is good to remember that tires need to "warm up" before doing any serious maneuvers on them. Cold rubber will not adhere to a road surface properly. Give your tires a good ten miles or so before you try any canyon carving. Always always (did I stress it enough) keep your tires inflated to the recommended tire pressures. These are cold pressures. If your tire says inflate to 35 psi then don't run them at 28 because the original owners manual said to. More than likely you don't have the same brand and type of tire still on the bike (hopefully not after 20+ years anyway). Modern tires have to have the correct tire pressure to flex and dissipate heat properly to avoid compound separation and premature failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
        Also it is good to remember that tires need to "warm up" before doing any serious maneuvers on them. Cold rubber will not adhere to a road surface properly. Give your tires a good ten miles or so before you try any canyon carving. Always always (did I stress it enough) keep your tires inflated to the recommended tire pressures. These are cold pressures. If your tire says inflate to 35 psi then don't run them at 28 because the original owners manual said to. More than likely you don't have the same brand and type of tire still on the bike (hopefully not after 20+ years anyway). Modern tires have to have the correct tire pressure to flex and dissipate heat properly to avoid compound separation and premature failure.
        Wow, you learn something everyday. Everything I have been told (of course all my expirence is with cagers) is that you follow the manufactures reccomendations and not the tires because the vehicle's maker takes into account the vehicle weight and all into consideration where are the tire companies have almost no idea what size vehicle it would be put on. I guess this is another way bikes are different.... :roll: Anyway, so ignore the sticker on my rear fender then when the new tire gets on and use steel wool to take away the form lube.

BTW, looks like I will be getting the Cheng Shin C907 Hi-Max tire for about $45 delivered. My front tire still has plenty of miles left on it, but is the old rib style tread, would it be a highly reccomended idea that I put the Hi-Max tire on the front too just so they match even though the old one still has quite a bit of tread on it (about 75%)?

Comment

Yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Put a new tire on the front, too!

It ain't about tread depth -- a new tire will be more flexible and the newer rubber will be much stickier.

Besides, it'll be even cheaper than the rear, and the CS HiMax fronts have that cool "imitation Metzeler Laser" chevron tread pattern.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Like I said, you are dealing with a motorcycle 20+ years old. Tires have come a long way in 20 years just as have motorcycles. Now if you have a modern motorcycle then the tires are probably radials and the recommendations of the owners manual are important and those recommendations are fine to follow. Also I used to tell people to try silicone lubricant on their tires and that is no longer a valid statement. The new rubber compounds will break down if you put any kind of automotive tire dressings or silicone to shine them up. All new tires simply require you to wash them with a good detergent and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
              BTW, looks like I will be getting the Cheng Shin C907 Hi-Max tire for about $45 delivered. My front tire still has plenty of miles left on it, but is the old rib style tread, would it be a highly reccomended idea that I put the Hi-Max tire on the front too just so they match even though the old one still has quite a bit of tread on it (about 75%)?
              Where'd you find the tire for $45 shipped? Sounds like a good deal.

Dave

Comment

There's a shop on the south side of Indy ( Cycle Outfitters ) where I can bring in the wheels from my GS850G and get a CS HiMax rear tire (130/90-17) for $70 and the front (100/90-19) for $50, INCLUDING mounting and balancing!

$120 plus tax out the door ain't bad! I get about 8,000 hard miles out of a set before I decide they're getting a little square and replace them. They're so cheap I can replace the tires more frequently. I've found that cheap new tires beat expensive old tires any day.

They also have Dunlops pretty cheap -- I might try a pair next spring to see what everyone is always raving about.

I've tried Metzeler, Continental, and Bridgestone. My set of Metzelers seemed to be pretty far out of balance. They took a lot of balance weight, but I still had a slight vibration at speed that got worse as the tires wore down (which didn't take as long as it should have). The Contis were OK - just expensive. The Bridgestones had good grip, but wore out very quickly.

Indianapolis is also home to Cycle Recycle II, another great source for parts, knowledge and tires. There's life here among all these %$#@! Hardleys, if you know where to look.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

duotours

I went with the duotours from IRC because they were the only company that made tires to fit my GS650G's 17 inch wheel. I needed a 120/70 and no one else made them. They were slippery and I found them to be noisy above 65 MPH for a while. Once they were drive 250 miles they quieted down. I think that mold release compound is what caused it. Overall good handling tire with excellent wet performance. I have 700 miles on the rear so far so good. At 60 bucks a piece delivered I think they are a good deal.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                    Where'd you find the tire for $45 shipped? Sounds like a good deal.

Dave
                    Two Sites, this is the one I am ordering from, and didn't save the other site.

Comment

MAW doesn't have the finest reputation. I have ordered from DTMA and they also have some great prices. Ordered my tires for both bikes with them and had no problems getting them within a week.

Comment

Some additional points

" If your tire says inflate to 35 psi then don't run them at 28 because the original owners manual said to"

This is certainly true, but you should NOT read what it says on the tire as being the inflation pressure you need. The printed number is what the manufacturer feels is the safe maximum pressure.

What you should do, as you obviously have access to the web, is visit the manufacturers website and see what pressures are recommended for YOUR bike This will tell you what you need as a basic, as well as several variables, and in what conditions those varying pressures will apply.

While it is not a hard and fast rule, it is generally recommended that you purchase tires for front and rear from the same manufacturer. This allows you to get the most from your tires, as the two tires are engineered to work together, and produce a team effort that will give you the maximum performance of both tires.

As to "new" tire treatment. Indeed, what you have read is correct.

I am fortunate in having a bike shop that not only gives a decent price, but they consider your safety as well. Tony always makes certain the tires are washed before they leave his shop.

At home, I wash them again, using a stiff brush or an abrasive pad, and dish detergent, then rinse THOROUGHLY and dry them.

Next, I head off to the nearest stretch of gravel road or soft shoulder and ride there for a mile or so (less if it is a shoulder). Most people do not take this step, but I feel better for doing it, and I am sure that the tires are ready for the road when all this is done.

Your tire pressures are CRITICAL, and must be checked often. Checks should preferably be done before every ride, when the tirs are cool.

It is not sufficient to check pressures when you get home after a day of fun and frolic, as the tires are warm or hot, and this invariably affects the pressure. It will never be the same when the tire cools.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Excellent points Ron.

Comment

Working...
                          X