Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Hesitation above 5000rpm

Hello All,

I've got an '85 GS700ES that's been giving me problems. It starts OK and runs fine until you rev it above 5000rpms then she starts to sputter and hesitate. Granted, I've got a lot of miles on it but it's always run well for me. Any suggestions on where to start? Does anyone have suggestions on getting a service manual for this bike?

Only above 5000? Sounds like a mixture problem. Carbs at 5000 RPM and over run differently than at lower RPM.
    First thing to check is your air cleaner. Do you have one? Is it the right one? Is it clean? Did you check your spark plugs? What colour are they ...check by cylinder, 1,2,3,4. Check your compression (take out ALL spark plugs before checking it and open the throttle while doing the compression check)

Your query is incomplete. You need to be more specific. Show all carb and exhaust information.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Bad Hesitation above 5000rpm

The first thing I would check is the ignition timing.

Earl

Originally posted by thilton
      Hello All,

I've got an '85 GS700ES that's been giving me problems. It starts OK and runs fine until you rev it above 5000rpms then she starts to sputter and hesitate. Granted, I've got a lot of miles on it but it's always run well for me. Any suggestions on where to start? Does anyone have suggestions on getting a service manual for this bike?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Check for intake leaks before you start spending money. With the bike idling, spray some carb cleaner at each intake boot, and at the mating surfaces where these boots attach to the cylinder head.

If there is ANY change in the idle speed, you have intake leaks. Your bike will never run right until these are fixed; in most cases it's not expensive -- you just need to replace the boot O-rings that contact the cylinder head. These are about 2 bucks each x 4 carbs = about eight bucks.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Bad Hesitation above 5000rpm

yes, I realize it's incomplete but you've given me good suggestions on what to check before I start shelling out the bucks. I'm not a mechanic nor have I ever done more that regular maintenance on this bike. I just don't have the tools, resources, knowledge and time. In fact, I need to get my hands on a repair manual for my 700. Anyone have any suggestions here?

Originally posted by argonsagas
          Only above 5000? Sounds like a mixture problem. Carbs at 5000 RPM and over run differently than at lower RPM.
          First thing to check is your air cleaner. Do you have one? Is it the right one? Is it clean? Did you check your spark plugs? What colour are they ...check by cylinder, 1,2,3,4. Check your compression (take out ALL spark plugs before checking it and open the throttle while doing the compression check)

Your query is incomplete. You need to be more specific. Show all carb and exhaust information.

Comment

700ES is kind of a rare model, there are only a few in our extensive gallery and I just did a search on e-bay for a manual with no results (even parts). Even Dennis Kirk doesn't list a manual. Any one out there seen one or better yet have one for sale?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

GS700ES service Manual

Yeah, it is rather rare. I think in the 17 years that I've owned mine I've only seen about 5 on the road. Many folks have never even heard of the 700ES.

It wouldn't be so bad if the '84 750ES parts & such was compatible but I'm not confident that it is. I can recall years ago wanting to buy a Vance & Hines 4-to-1 header system and the guy telling me it would be an extra $100-$150 because V&H didn't make pipes specifically for the 700 and the pipes for the 750 would need to be "special bent" to fit the 700. Anyone have any experience with 700's & 750's to know what's different?

Originally posted by Jethro
              700ES is kind of a rare model, there are only a few in our extensive gallery and I just did a search on e-bay for a manual with no results (even parts). Even Dennis Kirk doesn't list a manual. Any one out there seen one or better yet have one for sale?

Comment

Most parts from the '83 GS750e/es will swap with the '85 GS700e/es. '84 GS750's were not available in the US but I believe they are the same. The only manual that I've ever found is the Factory Service Manual for the '83 with a supplement covering the '85 700's. The FSM may still be available from the dealer. Pipes from the '83 GS750e's are the same as '85 700's and probably the same as '84 750e/es Canadian models. Check the Links from the homepage for possibly another source for manuals. http://www.repairmanual.com/items.php3

Comment

GS700ES Service Manual

Oh, cool. I followed the link you included that they had a manual for $56 bucks. More than what I wanted to spend (I'm cheap) but that's what I'm looking for. thanks for the info.

Originally posted by moto_dan
                  Most parts from the '83 GS750e/es will swap with the '85 GS700e/es. '84 GS750's were not available in the US but I believe they are the same. The only manual that I've ever found is the Factory Service Manual for the '83 with a supplement covering the '85 700's. The FSM may still be available from the dealer. Pipes from the '83 GS750e's are the same as '85 700's and probably the same as '84 750e/es Canadian models. Check the Links from the homepage for possibly another source for manuals. http://www.repairmanual.com/items.php3

Comment

1985 GS700ES Manual

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Unfortunately, because the GS750ES & GS700ES is such a rare model, no one would want to publish a manual for it. Not enough sales, I guess. I ended up going to my local Suzuki dealer (Aero P.A. in Elgin, IL) and buying a full service manual. As it happens, the current version from Suzuki covers all 3 years of this model. I put all the pages into plastic coversheets and put all in a three ring binder. Expensive, but worth every dime.

Mad Doctor :twisted:
                    Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
                    '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
                    '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Comment

There is a guy that advertises at the parts for sale section of this site, his name is Robert Skelton. He has many different brands & models original factory manuels. He has a manual for a 650 advertised now. Check him out

Comment

Try fiddling with the choke and fuel petcock...

I have the same problem, and it does appear to be mixture related. My work-around has been to adjust the choke a bit. this solves the high-speed hesitation (and in my case, high speed stalling if I pull the clutch while it's 'hesitating), although I sometimes have had to put my petcock in prime as well...

I'm in the process of examining possible causes (petcock issues, air filter, re-cleaning the carbs (as my 'cleaning' involved spraying them down with B12 and shooting it through the main jets. I had no prior carbed-vehicle experience before getting my bike this Sept)...

P.S. IIRC, don't post-82 bikes have electronic (non-adjustable) timing, or is that only in some series (I know that Clymer says my 82 450's timing can't be adjusted, as it has electronic ignition)...

Comment

Working...
                        X