No announcement yet.

@$&$#@ Fuel Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I insert an electrical screwdriver(extended shaft lenght)place it onto the fuel nipple between the carbs and push on the hose.
    Dink
    Dave if you remove the air filter case behind the plenum, the plenum moves back further then you can take the front boots off and removing or reinserting your carbs becomes really simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      I insert an electrical screwdriver(extended shaft lenght)place it onto the fuel nipple between the carbs and push on the hose.
      Dink
      Dave if you remove the air filter case behind the plenum, the plenum moves back further then you can take the front boots off and removing or reinserting your carbs becomes really simple.
      Man, I had to go back to the automotive 5/16". Just couldn't get the clear stuff to work. It also was WAY too easy to get on the nipple. NO way to get a clamp down there (or so I tought). I got the automotive on Finally. Bummer when I saw gas running everywhere when I started the bike.
      I had the spring clip clamp that came with the filter. It was TOO big for the clear hose. It fit the automotive hose though. I struggled for a while and after taking off the - Coils, the bracket for the throttle cable and the choke cable I was barely able to get the Long Needle nose (Thanks Michael) pliers down and with the wife's help we barely got the clamp on. I haven't got it back together yet. She had to run, so I'm inside with the kids. Keeping my fingers crossed. THis is just mind boggling to me. Something SO simple, yet extremely difficult.

Anyway, DINK

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about with the air box. What is the plenum? Never heard that before?
      My case is solid and I have frame members welded on both sides (I've heard others that can get their air box out from one side or the other). If I take the battery and case out, I can get my air box back to the frame, that's it. It's about 1/2" inch (12.7 mm ). That's a struggle though.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

I know this doesnt help you now, but for future reference, I install the fuel line to the carbs before I install the carb stack on the bike. :-)

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I know this doesnt help you now, but for future reference, I install the fuel line to the carbs before I install the carb stack on the bike. :-)

Earl
          Yup!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

Earl, that's exactly what I did. I even put a nice clamp on it so it wouldn't come off. Unfortunately dad can't call me son on that one. I just installed what the auto parts store gave me. It wasn't until I was badly burned by my friend (I had suspisions anyway) that I started to realize they gave me the wrong size fuel lines. 1/4" and 3/16" instead of 5/16". Wether that makes a difference I'm not sure?
            So, I'm trying my damnest to get this on with out fighting my carbs again.

Dave

Comment

After all but disconnecting or bypassing my pet cock all together I ran the line from the petcock down behind the side cover were I fitted an on/off valve and then back up to an inline filter and to the carbs. I will take a picture of it if I remember while I am n the shop tonight and post it here.

Comment

Dave, I have on occasion when changing fuel lines and not wanting to make a trip out to get 5/16" line, tried to install the 1/4" line I had on hand. Forget it! It is nearly impossible to get stiff 1/4" automotive fuel line on a 5/16" barb even with the carbs out of the bike. With the carbs on the bike, weLLLLLLL....lets just say its quicker and easier to remove the carbs, go back to the parts store and buy 5/16" fuel line and start over. :-)

And.........if you do get 1/4" fuel line fitted over a 5/16" barb, once it takes a set, you will not be able to pull it off even if you hire a gorilla with a set of vice grips. You will have to cut it off and replace it. :-) Just not worth it.

Earl

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                I started to realize they gave me the wrong size fuel lines. 1/4" and 3/16" instead of 5/16". Wether that makes a difference I'm not sure?
                So, I'm trying my damnest to get this on with out fighting my carbs again.

Dave
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Magill forcep

I hope you didn't take that from an intubation tray..

Craig

Comment

Thanks for all the help on this. After all that I finally got it. Rode to work this morning and no leaks. I couldn't really get on it this morning, so not sure if it made a difference in the power yet. But ran good and all is right in the world again today. 8)
                    That fuel line is going to be on there for quite some time. :?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X