@$&$#@ Fuel Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@$&$#@ Fuel Lines

Heres the scoop. When I cleaned my carbs, I went to the Auto parts store and got new fuel line. 1/4" and 5/16. No problems. I noticed that the old hoses were smaller and more flexible. Now I see why. The automotive are so big on the O.D. that I can't get them to lay correctly when I put the seat back on. The Petcock is close to the top of the #1 carb and I think it's pinching BOTH hoses.
    I just went for a ride to check my clutch and it started sputtering on me again when I got on it. The last time it did it, I played with the fuel line and it cleared up.
    So, my question is where can you get the smaller O.D. fuel line and has anyone else struggled with this?
    P.S. the local Motorcyle place said they don't carry fuel line, they want to order it. Ha Ha, yeah right.
    One other thing, the carbs never had hoses on the 2 atmoshpere vents - so I didn't add them. Should I add a couple of hoses and run them down by the foot pegs?

Thanks
    Dave
    '83 GS 750E

Maybe check with a boat dealer.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Try Cycle-Recycle: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

Select "Fuel System Parts" / " Fuel Lines and Fuel Filters". You should find what you need there.

Good Luck

Jeff

Comment

I use the blue polyurethane fuel line from Cycle Recycle. It's awesome stuff!

It's stiff enough not to collapse or kink, but it's elastic enough to grip firmly and still slide off a fitting easily when you want it to.

I haven't seen it get brittle or hard yet, and it sure looks cool. Plus, you can see through it to make sure fuel is flowing.

I don't have words foul enough to describe a motorcycle shop that does not stock fuel line. That's just ridiculous.

You might check with an ATV or snowmobile shop, if there are any around you.

The last boat shop I was in only stocked this huge fire-resistant fuel line with ultra-thick walls. The 1/4 inch line had an outside diameter of about 5/8 inch or more. I think the idea is if it's subjected to a fire the thick walls swell and collapse inward, cutting off the flow of fuel.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had a similar problem with the GS550 last year.
          I fitted a new fuel line, but the fuel wouldn't flow through.

I found that I had kept the new line too long, so the bend was above the fuel level in the tank.
          Easy way to check it is filling up the fuel tank.

Just make sure that the entire fuel line stays under the lowest point of the tank.

As for the vent lines: there are different opinions on that.
          Some say the engine runs worse without them, others think that it makes no difference.
          I wouldn't know, because I've never removed them.
          It wouldn't harm if you installed them though. Just run them down in front of the back wheel.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll get the new fuel line and start over.

Anyone know off the top of your head, what the atmoshpere vent size of hose is?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Must be a world wide conspiracy. 8O Last time I tried to buy fuel line from a bike shop...out of stock...waited a week and got automotive fuel line from them that was impossible to run under the tank to a filter and to the carbs. Made some improvisations and got it to work (and is still on it today) but that blue stuff...sounds like the hot setup!

Comment

If your intake is stock, you should keep the vent lines on but it should make no difference in a stock intakes performance. If you wash the bike it's good to have the lines on.
                I think your vent lines are 3/16" but you should check first with a known piece of line. The fuel line (looks like surgical rubber tubing) that Pingel sells is great stuff. If you replace the vacuum line, make sure it grips the nipple right. Some of that automotive line is too hard.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Low and Behold, a local Motorcycle shop had some fuel line. My butt seems a little sore though. They should really get some KY jelly. :roll:

$4.50 for 3ft. I got the 1/4" and 5/16", so just spent $10. Oh well, probably what it would be if I had to pay shipping. I'll re-use my filter as they didn't have one. Mine looks ok though.
                  Funny thing about these local dealers. One time I call and the young kid is a jack a$s and doesn't want to help at all, just says "uhh, I guess we got to order that". Then another time I'll get someone who is really sincere and wants to help. Like today. Real nice guy.

This fuel line may have been a problem. When I originally went to tha Auto parts store I took my old fuel line. The guy came back and handed me 2 lenghts. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sure they were 3/16" and 1/4". Like a moron, I just put them on with out thinking about it. So, I guess I'm using a 1/4" fuel line instead of 5/16" and a 3/16" vacuum instead of 1/4". Can anyone say Fuel Starvation?

In reality, do you think this would be causing me the power loss I seem to have? It has only "Sputtered" after I had the tank off, I'm sure I pinched the lines a bit.
                  Other than that, It just doesn't seem to pull as good as it should. I'm thinking this could be the cause of it?

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

Dave here is something you might try. I used clear lawn-mower fuel line on my bike, I think it was 3/8" I.D. I wanted to put an additional in line filter on it so I put a Briggs and Stratton lawn-mower filter in line too. This is the catch, Instead of measuring and running the hose straight from the petcock to the carbs I cut the tubing long enough to make a loop that would not allow the line to kink once the hoses were connected and tank reseated on the bolt. I have put several hundred miles on it since then and no fuel starvation and no leaks. When I pull the tank for repairs or adjustments I have a good 3 inches after lifting the back of the tank off the frame to allow me to unplug the hoses after the rear of the tank has cleared the frame. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Michael.

How the heck do you get the fuel line back on the carbs? I can fit my damn fingers in there. No room? Can't get it on all the way.

I will run a few more inches too.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

I don't have the "T" that most people in here describe for the fuel line to the carbs. Mine actually goes in to the side of the #3 carb. To make matters worse, it angles back towards the air box where theres no room anyhow. What a fricken pain in the a$s. I can not only NOT get my fingers down in there, I can't even see to make sure I've got it on. When I think I've gotten it, as soon as I put the inline filter on and move it, Pop it comes right off.

Unfortunately, after working on this for over 1 1/2 hours, I don't see any way to get the fuel line on securely enought to trust it. I can't get anything down there and I certainly can't get a hose clamp down there. The only thing I can see is taking the carbs back off. After the last time and the trouble I had getting them back in, this bike is going to sit a while. I'll have to wait til I can afford the Pod filters and rejet and the whole nine yards. Cause next time these carbs come off that air box is going.

Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated? 8O 8O

Thanks

DAve

Comment

There is a wonderful tool available to us Paramedics called a magill forcep. it is basically a grabbing tong that is curved and designed to be shoved down an adult's airway to pull out a piece of meat or other object caught between the vocal cords. You may have seen on on ER TV show. It is one great tool for reaching down into tight places to push on the end of flexible tube onto a nipple. Next best thing is available at Home Depot or Lowes in the tool depart. A very long needle nose pliers. Not as good as magills but a good second choice. Put the tube on the carb before putting on the tank. make a slow loop and route the tubing out to the side where the petcock will go. it is ok if it purtrudes a couple inches out. Replace the tank and push the tube onto the petcock nipple when the back of the tanks bottom meets the frame rail.

Comment

Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.

Thanks for the tip Michael, I shall go to Home Depot tomorrow.

Dave

Comment

When I replaced my fuel lines, I got some marine spec lines from my local Napa auto parts store. It stands up to the engine heat and is thin wall so it fits perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X