needle guage vibrates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needle guage vibrates

One more for you guys; on the 1982 gs 1100e the needle guage for fuel does not stay at one place, it viberates between the E and F conctantly, any suggestions?.
    ard

It's the Fuel Generator that's acting up. :twisted: :twisted:

I'd check the connectors and clean them first. Mine are right under the tank. Just remove the 2x screws and lift the tank slightly and my 2 wires are right there, not sure about yours. Should be similar. I've had trouble in the past, not that bad, but my is fine now.
    This was from a post I did a while back.

Tank reostat is not the best on these things, it probably needs replace. My ford truck does the same thing so I just go by miles to know when to fill up
    Dave

Comment

I have the same problem - and I tried checking the contacts. It seems that the fuel level sensor still works, because when sitting still with the ignition on the indication is correct. But all of the damping in the indication has gone away - instead of smoothing out all of the waves and ripples and splashes, and getting an average reading over the last minute or so (like it did when it worked), I get an instantaneous reading of the sensor float position, so it is all over the place.

Does anyone know if the damping in the fuel gage is electrical/electronic or if it is mechanical? Is it in the panel or the sensor or a black box? I think the lost damping is what we need to fix.

Nick

Comment

Ok, last post before I hit the hay, I promise... 8O . When fuel is at premium prices, as it is today, the all knowing oil companies frequently shuffle it between tanks in parralell universes in order to sell the same product three or four times. As you can imagine this takes a bit of energy to run the transfer generators, which is why this practice is not done when fuel prices are at a lower level. But with gasoline at today's prices it makes a profit for the oil companies to fire up the transfer generators. What you are seeing is the transfer from your tank in real space to another universe and back. Not many fuel gauges can detect this transfer as the transition occurs in nanoseconds. The outstanding GS gauge is a true performer.

'night.

Comment

'Night, Jim....

(even if I am reading it in the morning)
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Low
            Does anyone know if the damping in the fuel gage is electrical/electronic or if it is mechanical? Is it in the panel or the sensor or a black box? I think the lost damping is what we need to fix.

Nick
            I wouldn't really know. But if it's electronic, there should be a condenser over the gauge. It might be faulty or have come loose.
            You could try to solder a new one over the gauge contacts or the feeler contacts.
            I have no idea what value it needs to be; you could start with a 1 uF/25V electrolytic condenser. If that doesn't work, try a higher value, like 4.7uF, 10 uF or even higher. Any electronics shop should have them.
            Make sure to connect the "+" and "-" leads correctly!!

Karl Zellner (KZ) might have some better info. You could send him a PM or email.

Comment

Fuel Gauge

Sounds like a faulty Ground to me. Find a good ground even your battery and test it with a lenght of wire run it to the the ground wire. If your gauge stays still thats your problem. :?

Comment

Working...
              X