interchanging shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interchanging shocks

I'm wondering if a stock shock with eyes on both mounting points could be replaced with a shock of the same length that has a clevis at the bottom? As long as a spacer is machined to fit inbetween the clevis to act as an eye.

This if for an 1150, so I'm trying to find a shock that supports a 550 ish pound bike. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

On my first GS850, the previous owner did something similar.
    No problems...

Comment

This if for an 1150, so I'm trying to find a shock that supports a 550 ish pound bike
      Try looking for an early 90's GSXR shock, they use a clevis bottom mount and are very close to the same length. Actually, all GSXR shocks use a clevis lower mount, but I cannot say if the lengths are the same.

Check out http://www.ohlins.com/ for fitment info on shocks. You need to do a product search for the particular model of bike you want to fit and the bike the new shock came from and check out the installation instructions. They list overall length, connection bolts (for some models), stroke and other info that will help you determine if a particular shock will fit onto your 1150.

Mark

Comment

A Clevis being a prong, correct. Not an eye, like a circle. The 1150 has eyes at both ends so the GSXR would be different, but if the clevis end works the same way as an eye as the first poster showed then a GSXR would be nice and probably have a much better dampening rate. As long as I get a shock off a watercooled one as those are more porky like the 1150.

And it would be hidden unlike the 850 where it looks a little odd. The shock length resting on it own weight is about 12'' 3/4''. I went half an inch longer on my kat with a Works shock. It handles much better and doesn't scrape the alternator cover anymore. Carter
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The 1150 has eyes at both ends so the GSXR would be different, but if the clevis end works the same way as an eye as the first poster showed then a GSXR would be nice and probably have a much better dampening rate.
          If your 1150 shock has eyes on both ends, you will be better off finding a shock with eyes to start with. It is generally very difficult to adapt a shock with the wrong end fittings. The R model Yamaha's and many Honda's (CBR's, etc.) use shocks with two eyes, so look to those. I would not buy an OEM shock to replace your unit, I would look for a Fox or other aftermarket shock instead. Even newer OEM shocks are junk and quickly wear out and provide performance similar to your tired old 1150 shock. The only reason to get a newer OEM shock would be to rebuild it with Race Tech Gold Valves and install the proper rate spring for your bike. Then it would be about equivalent to a well set up Fox shock.

BTW, if you really want your shock to work well, expect to rebuild it with a new spring of the correct rate and a re-valve to match the new spring. It is rare to get a shock meant for something else and have it work very well in your application with out a rebuild. If all you want is a decent shock to replace the OEM one, have Lindemann rebuild the stock unit and revalve it and you will get a pretty cheap fully functional shock back. YMMV.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X