Good thing this is a hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing this is a hobby

Once more my "project" has raised it's patience trying head. During reassembly the thrust washer for the clutch decided to disappear/go on vacation so had to make a run to my local mechaninc. Then today while putting on the pressure plate one of the bolts decided to break. Was really lucky & got it out with no damage. So in the morning will make a run to the Suzuki dealer & will get 6 new ones which I should have done in the first place. Ahh, the trials & tribulations of working on older motorcycles, but really wouldn't want a new one, no character to me.

There is a (new) Suzi dealer in Conway, if you don't want to make the drive to North Benton. If you have to order them, might consider new springs as well.

Comment

Didn't know about the Conway dealer. Have new springs & cluch plates, just didn't get new bolts. Have them now & got the motor running tonight, now to fix an oil leak & do some adjustments.

Comment

If your familiar with Conway at all, it is on the Hwy65 / I-40 exit. In the Shopping centre right behind the Cracker Barrel restaurant. It is new (a few months old), I had to order a Valve cover gasket from them, got it pretty quick, and they seem like decent people to deal with.

Comment

Agree, good thing its a hobby

Know how you feel. Just replaced a needle/seat valve on #4 carb and then #2 started spitting gas . Sure enjoyed the ride in the piney woods of east Texas today. Glad I have THIS hobby . Beats a $200/month payment.

Comment

Reading your post reminded me of when I last had my clutch apart...putting the pressure plate back on, I broke one of the bolts and was immediately disheartened. I thought, man, I'm gonna have to get this drilled and blah blah...Besides, I was completely unprepared to remove the basket.

In the garage, we keep around this old, chipped flathead screwdriver. It's a Craftsman, so a simple drive to Sears would get it replaced, but the thing about a screwdriver that's already broken is you can guiltlessly use it for all the things you're not supposed to use a screwdriver for; opening paint cans, prying this & that, etc. The chip in it was curved, so it had kind of a hook shape - perfect for reaching into a tight space.

I took it over to the clutch basket and put the "hook" to the broken bit of bolt - and lo and behold, it turned out! I guess with those spacers there's no torque on the bolt shaft once the head breaks off, but that broken screwdriver sure came in handy, too. Ever since, it's been the Craftsman "All-in-one Wonder Tool."

I just used a grade-5 bolt from the hardware store, about $.40. What does Suzuki-san want for a set?

Comment

I bought a set of easy-outs recently off Ebay & they have saved my butt enough that the expense was well worth it. The bolts are hardened from what I could figure in the Haynes manual. I payed about $7.50 for 6 but got to meet some nice folks waiting a the parts counter so an even trade off in my opinion. The motor is running which is great. Now replacing the tailight assembly (previous owner modified it) & experimenting with ounting a set of 90-92 GSXR gauges. Then the sanding & prep for painting for a new paint job. Yep, I've got my limited time this winter spoken for.

Comment

Working...
              X