gear position indicator switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear position indicator switch

Hello again, on 1982 GS1100E, the neutral light was not coming on, I opened the sproket cover and looked at the switch and the wires, I found one wire cut, I resoldered the wire, I still dont have light, the rest of the wires seemed okay, but there was a section of the wires that were very dry, I can check to see if there are any cut wires in the wire cover, is it worthed to do that? is this switch available new!
    Also, the fuel guage needle vibration, I took the connectors apart and clean and reconnect them, but did not fix the problem, could it be from the unit inside the tank? the reason I ask this, becuase I have another unit I can replace. Any info will be helpful.

ard

Mine had something similar, where several of the wires were broke at the switch, try pulling on the remaining ones to make sure they haven't broken (inside the insulation) where the soldered part ends and the wire flexes...I resoldered mine and got everything to work. Even if you replace the switch, you'll still have the wiring to deal with.

Comment

hEYY

You can test the unit by trying to complete a circuit with a light or somthing simular to tha end of the wires to tha metal circle parts on tha rubber also check the spring loaded needle and ur wiring harness....

Comment

gear position switch

Hi bboxer, thank you for your respond, tell me again how to test the switch? and where is the spring loaded needle?

ard

Comment

Hey Ard. I thought a little bit more on my indicator from my 81 1100E, but I am sure it won't work. The 81 1100E has only a big green light for neutral, not a six position switch like the 82 or 83 models have. It has to be different.

Sorry buddy, good luck with repairing yours.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

gps

Hey Jethro, thank you for the info, I will do some more testing to come to the bottom of this all. I had good time riding with you guys on sunday we went to some very nice places I hope we can do it again before it gets much colder.

ard

Comment

Yeah, maybe this Saturday? I'll be around.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X