Clutch cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable...

This is almost embarrassing to ask, but my clutch cable started fraying. I noticed this while the bike was sitting in the garage, fortunately. My question is does the new cable need to be lubed before installing it or not. Strangely this is the first cable I've ever had to replace in almost 30 years. Some people win the Lottery, and my cables last almost forever.

Re: Clutch cable...

I lube my cables. They seem to last longer and work more smoothly.
    Being basically a skinflint, I just wrap one end of the cable with duct tape to form a small funnel like end and hang the cable up for a few minutes. fill the duct tape funnel with oil and wait until it drips out the bottom of the cable before installing it.

Earl

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
    This is almost embarrassing to ask, but my clutch cable started fraying. I noticed this while the bike was sitting in the garage, fortunately. My question is does the new cable need to be lubed before installing it or not. Strangely this is the first cable I've ever had to replace in almost 30 years. Some people win the Lottery, and my cables last almost forever.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Always keep my cables lubed, I just wasn't sure if a brand new one needed it.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to oil it

Comment

Clutch cable

Yes definatly lubing your clutch cable is a good idea....it prevents rust/corrosion by displacing moisture and the cable actuates smoother.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Got the old one off and the new one on after agood lubing and it feels like new.

Comment

Lubing will not hurt. Since the good old days, cables seem to last a lot longer and work more smoothly than ever..must be the improved sheaths they use.

Comment

The cable I replaced was the original one. 22 years and it was smooth as silk until I noticed one broken strand the other day when I pulled back the cover for her monthly oiling.

Comment

Lubrication is your friend......for everything!!

Comment

I won't touch that with a ten foot pole...

Comment

Working...
                    X