Which Progressives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Progressives?

My fork seal is leaking, so I want to replace my springs with Progressives. Went to their applications site but my brain suffered a meltdown.

OK, What would y'all recommend? I have a 1980 750. Mostky ride twisties, some pretty bumpy and I always have to do a bit of dirt roads just to get home. Not very much rain to worry about. My rider weight is about 150lbs and I really want more stability on the beautiful curves around here. Please help, also, where to order for good price??

Thanks again, oh gurus of the GS.

I think you have 35mm dia tubes which would require part number 11-1135. You had better measure your tube to be sure. They're also calling for a travel limiter #30.5013. I have no idea what that's for, you better talk to them about that. The P.V.C. spacers can be found at a hardware store and it'll be explained in the instructions. I don't know if anyone discounts these things, I get mine through my local dealer. As far as the ride, they'll still be smooth but handling will improve. I would suggest also to go with a heavier fork oil. If the stock was 10wt, go to a 15 or maybe even 20.
    Axel

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had 15wt put in when I first bought the bike, but it is very harsh. Then I read in my Clymer that they recommend going 15wt only if you are a heavyweight or are packing apassenger regularly. As I'm a "lightweight" female, I'm not sure exactly what to do. I do know that I want progressives

Comment

Motomedic:

I recently replaced the fork seals on my '83 GS750ES, and took the opportunity to replace the OE springs with Progressive Suspension equivalents. My 1983 model is very different from your 750 but I found the Progressive Springs are a noticable improvement for my bike: less dive on braking and more predictable handling, all without any detectable increase in harshness. I used 15W fork oil (Suzuki spec. calls for 10W).....same weight as I had already changed to before.

I did compare my OE springs with the new ones. The originals were a 2-rate spring, with the initial "soft" part very coarsely wound. The Progressives appeared to have a similar/same hard rate but the
        "soft" part had a higher rate (tighter coil) than the originals. The Progressives are also a shorter spring, thus the need for spacers. I am fairly heavy (195 lbs) and usually carry a passenger.

Simon

Comment

Thanks, guys. Hey Simon, how did you figure out which spring to get? The Progressive application site had several models and I haven't a clue as to which one would suit me best.I am still thinking of going back to 10w because I'm significantly lighter and never pack more than my soft saddlebags for groceries.

Comment

Motomedic:

I have to admit that I ordered my Progresive Suspension springs through a new m/c shop started by acquaintances (a Kawasaki dealer but I wanted to give them some business!!). I did go to the Progressive site subsequently and confirmed that there was only one choice for my bike and that was the one they ordered. I haven't looked up ypur bike as of this reply.

As to rider weight vs. fork oil weight: I thought that overall rider + vehicle weight was largely compensated for by spring preload (i.e. pre-compression of the spring by spacer in this case) to result in a desired level of "sag". In the case of your relatively light weight, perhaps a minimum length spacer would be appropriate, but remember that the weight is rider + bike, with the bike contributing most (I hope!). I seem to remember reading that fork oil weight mostly affects rebound dampimg.

You might try contacting Billy Ricks by PM (much GS experience, including suspension) and/or calling Progressive Suspension direct for advice.

I hope that this helps.

Simon

Comment

Thanks, Simon. I ordered the 30/50 from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for $57.95. You were right, there is only 1 application for my model, which was fortunate, becaus I still am not sure how much of my bike is an "L" and how much is an "E".

Pam

Comment

Pam:

Good luck with the fork work. Let us know how it goes and how you like the changes.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                X