Flat Weight Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Weight Oil

My bike sometimes runs weird at startup, nothing serious, just a little weak, sometimes i see smoke. But once its warm, the machine runs great.

I thought that if i got flat weight oil or maybe something like 20w-40 or 30w-40 it might help things out. Would this help?

Right now i use 10w-40 penzoil. Nothing facy.

PS: i have a gs650e 1982. The things in decent condition.

Lets start with the simple questions.
    1) where are you?
    2) how many miles on the bike?
    3) is there any apparent oil consumption, i.e. how often do you need to add oil?
    4) when was the last oil and filter change?
    5) when were the carbs last cleaned and balanced?
    6) what do you plugs look like? any signs of "sootiness"?
    7) is is just a "puff" at start up or does it continue for a few minutes?
    8) what colour is the smoke? white or black?
    Dink

Comment

thanks so much for replying!

1) where are you?
      I live in western washington. Right now the weather is dry and cold, 30-50 degrees.

roughly 200k. The speedometer died a year ago, but the past owner rarely rode it far.

3) is there any apparent oil consumption, i.e. how often do you need to add oil?
      No, the oilconsumption seems to be minimal. I haven't noticed anything.

Last oil and filter change: beginning of summer, so June.

I tore down the carbs and re tuned them in the summer as well.

The plugs look tanish brown, i think one of them is a little too white.

Sometimes its just a puff or two, sometimes it goes for a minute or so.

the smoke is sort of white. I used to see white smoke comming out of one of the spark plug holes if i would take off a spark plug directly after starting up and running for a few seconds. (when i was tuning carbs)

Comment

Regardless of what brand USE a multi grade 10-40 wt that the mfg recomends Nothing else. A heaver oil will cause the clutch to drag when cold & it is hard on the trans when it grinds into gear

Comment

Originally posted by X gs X
          thanks so much for replying!

1) where are you?
          I live in western washington. Right now the weather is dry and cold, 30-50 degrees.

roughly 200k. The speedometer died a year ago, but the past owner rarely rode it far.

No, the oilconsumption seems to be minimal. I haven't noticed anything.

Last oil and filter change: beginning of summer, so June.

I tore down the carbs and re tuned them in the summer as well.

The plugs look tanish brown, i think one of them is a little too white.

Sometimes its just a puff or two, sometimes it goes for a minute or so.

the smoke is sort of white. I used to see white smoke comming out of one of the spark plug holes if i would take off a spark plug directly after starting up and running for a few seconds. (when i was tuning carbs)
          Ok, lets go through this..First of all I know your lying here.....Response #1 said "western Washington - DRY and Cold, 30-50 degrees.....It is NEVER dry in Washington!! lol!!
          No, really, # 2 - You say the bike has 200K on it? I am assuming you either mean 20K, or 200Kilometers on it. If it is 200K Miles it Should be using oil!
          #3 - Consumption is minimal, That along with #6 tells me that you do not have much, if any, of an oil problem

What I think it may be, as you have stated warm running is fine, is just moisture/excess fuel coming out when using the choke., especially with moist, cool days. It runs better warm, because you are not using the choke anymore,and the moisture is no longer in the pipes. The type of oil you are using is fine, however, I use Pennzoil 15w-40 LL, as it has a more robust additive package, and the extra 5w in it (at least on mine) helps shift smoother without the heaviness of a 20w-XX weight oil.

Comment

White smoke is fuel, nothing unusal. may be a good idea to re-clean and balance your carbs if you are noticing a plug colour difference from cylinder to cylinder. As with all older carbed bikes and today horrid quality fuels it cant hurt.
            Dink

Comment

Flat is what beer gets if you don't drink it soon after opening. The oil you're asking about is called a 'single weight' oil. And as everybody else said, don't use 'em.

Comment

Mine does the same......... especially when cold. It's condensation coming off as steam. Heck, when it's real cold and I push the throttle a bit when it's warming up, little dropplets of water will shoot out the pipes.

I thought it was fuel one time, and was scared as hell. Took the plugs out, they looked great......... so I decided to smell the droplets.......... probably should have started there first.....

Chad
                Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

40wt motor oil is what goes in Yugo transmissions

just as a point of reference

SAE30, 40, 50, etc are designed for heavy sump racing motors, or old vehicles that were designed to run without multiviscosity oils..

even in those cases, at my shop, we often recommend a multiviscosity, as it's easier on teh engine.

the only time i've ever seen someone use an SAE30 or 40 wt oil in a DOHC engine is in a saturn with a blown headgasket that the customer refused to fix. it took 11 seconds for the sump to get the oil to the top of the motor. the 10w allows the oil to flow freely with zero inhibition until around 0? F (i think that's -18?C)

Comment

Did you ever look at the Hardley oils :roll: 50 60 70 wt?? must be to keep them from leaking

Comment

Oil

I've run Mobil 1 10W40 (same stuff I run in my truck), Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil and just switched to Suzuki 4 cycle 10W40. I can say for sure that the clutch response is much more positive now. The one thing that I consistently get from this web site is use motorcycle specific oil. There are supposed to be friction modifiers in car oil that can cause clutch slipping in a "wet clutch" system like ours. I'm sure the Suzuki oil is way over priced but I don't have to hunt for it and I really like the way my clutch feels now. Think thats where I'll stay.

Comment

Re: Oil

Mobil 1 15w50. Half the price, twice as good.

earl :-)

Originally posted by Giblet
                        I've run Mobil 1 10W40 (same stuff I run in my truck), Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil and just switched to Suzuki 4 cycle 10W40. I can say for sure that the clutch response is much more positive now. The one thing that I consistently get from this web site is use motorcycle specific oil. There are supposed to be friction modifiers in car oil that can cause clutch slipping in a "wet clutch" system like ours. I'm sure the Suzuki oil is way over priced but I don't have to hunt for it and I really like the way my clutch feels now. Think thats where I'll stay.
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Mobile 1 15W50

Tried that last summer because of the heat here in NE Texas 8) . Same slipping with the clutch. Maybe they'll make a Mobile 1 for bikes some day.

Comment

just for you, bub

Comment

Re: Mobile 1 15W50

"same slipping with the clutch" verifies the clutch is the problem, not the oil.

Earl

Originally posted by Giblet
                              Tried that last summer because of the heat here in NE Texas 8) . Same slipping with the clutch. Maybe they'll make a Mobile 1 for bikes some day.
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X