Best source/price for carb rebuild kits for an 81 gs650EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best source/price for carb rebuild kits for an 81 gs650EX

Hi: anyone comfortable in recommending where I can get carb rebuild kit(s) for my bike? I see 1 or 2 out on Ebay but man, I would HATE to get something and get in the middle of this job and find out that parts don't fit, or some parts are not included or the kits are just plain old crap.

I want to replace EVERYTHING that can be replaced now that I have the carbs removed (JEEZ, MUCH HARDER THAN I THOUGHT!!!, DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO TAKE THEM BACK OFF AGAIN) and also now that I am psyched up for this job.

Thanks folks and I look forward to your advice.

Shawn Davis

the truth of the matter is that you usually don't need a complete rebuild kit You may need a needle & seat assembly, float bowel gasket-they usually can be resused, and a set of O rings available from Robet Barr
    If you do get Kits Make sure to compare the new jets to the old ones

Comment

I have found these people to be very good.

Search for: Model: gs650 Year: 1981
      Part No. Image Description Model Year Price Statusk Paypal Cart
      (1 records found)
      KS-0241 Carburetor Repair Kit GS650 1981 1982 1983 $ 17.50 IN STOCK

Terry

Comment

Thanks.

Good advice, much appreciated. I WILL compare and assure that all parts that I'm replacing match.

Since the riding season is very close to over here in the mountains of WV, I won't be tempted to rush this overhaul and potentially half-ass it.

I didn't find Sirius when I Googled for carb kits for my bike?? Keyster sounds like a name I've hear before and the pic of what the sample kit looked like showed more parts than a couple of other places that I located.

And: I guess I will replace everything that I can at one shot (Damn, hope that doesn't somehow NEGATIVELY impact how my bike is performing?) while I have the pesky things removed.

TTYL

Comment

Best place for carb needles /seats at a decent price is in New Zealand. I have made a couple of purchases....latest set just arrived last week for the Honda, but is not yet installed.

I will look for his website address and get back to you.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Did not find the website, but here is his e-mail

smebike@ihug.co.nz>
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
              Best place for carb needles /seats at a decent price is in New Zealand. I have made a couple of purchases....latest set just arrived last week for the Honda, but is not yet installed.

I will look for his website address and get back to you.
              I don't blame you for buying from New Zealand. I wouldn't want to deal with any of those darn Canadians (Sirius) either. 8O

Terry

Comment

The Keyster kits are krap. Pure, worthless crap. Utterly valueless. Bereft of quality. Do I make myself clear? The only thing remotely usable is the float bowl gasket. Sometimes.

I know this through bitter, expensive experience. Don't waste your money.

Get some float bowl gaskets, a set of o-rings from Robert, and clean up the original jets, needle valves, and pilot screws. If the old parts are beyond hope, order OEM parts.

The float valves sold by the guy in NZ might be pretty good, but I don't know personally. I can say that in the pictures, they look like OEM and not like the Keyster junk.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

but what do you do if your needles are all cracked off, bwringer? Pay the arm and a leg costs from Suzuki? :?

i just ordered some carb rebuild kits from Siruis, who I've used in the past with good luck. I don't forsee any problems with them...I'm only going to replace what I 'must' - not everything.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X