Are these tyres any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these tyres any good?

I picked up a secondhand but unused Durotour RS-310R (140/70/17) for the ol' 850 at an autojumble for ?15 the other day. Cheap enough, so I was wondering are they any good or would I be better off using it to make a swing for my kids? I've never heard of this make and I don't want to swap one crap tyre for another one that's just as bad.

It's an IRC brand.

I put one on my GS1100E earlier this year.
    Not a bad tire, no wear yet, only about 1000 miles on it.
    Was ok in the rain, holds a line pretty well.

I wanted something quick and for reasonable money.
    Listed for about $80USD over here.

I have Dunlop GT501's on my S model, night and day difference.

If it's fairly new, no cracks in the sidewalls and the bead area not torn up, go ahead and use it.

Not a bad tire, not the best, middle of the spectrum.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've used the IRC Durotour 310 Front and Rear. Good street tires, I wouldn't head off to track day on it but, I'd tour on it wet or dry. As KGB said mid spectrum.

Comment

Re: Are these tyres any good?

Originally posted by Guy
        I picked up a secondhand but unused Durotour RS-310R (140/70/17) for the ol' 850 at an autojumble for ?15 the other day. Cheap enough, so I was wondering are they any good or would I be better off using it to make a swing for my kids? I've never heard of this make and I don't want to swap one crap tyre for another one that's just as bad.
        Depends on how old the second hand tire is. There is a manufacturing date on the sidewall. I wouldn't use a tire that is too old....
        Earl has explained the code some time ago in another thread:

Originally posted by earlfor
        .......Look on the sidewall of your front tire. Tires are manufacture date stamped with three numbers. For example, if you saw the numbers 362, that would mean the tire was made in the 36th week of either 1992, 1982, or 1972. Tires manufactured from 2000 on have a 4 number code. For example, 3601 would be the 36th week of 2001. I do not consider tires older than three years safe to ride on. Blow a tire on a car and you probably will coast to a stop and maybe bend a rim. Blow a tire on a motorcycle and chances are considerably greater you will spend some serious time in the hospital.......

Earl

Comment

Re: Are these tyres any good?

Originally posted by jojo
          Originally posted by Guy
          Depends on how old the second hand tire is. There is a manufacturing date on the sidewall. I wouldn't use a tire that is too old....
          Earl has explained the code some time ago in another thread:

Originally posted by earlfor
          .......Look on the sidewall of your front tire. Tires are manufacture date stamped with three numbers. For example, if you saw the numbers 362, that would mean the tire was made in the 36th week of either 1992, 1982, or 1972. Tires manufactured from 2000 on have a 4 number code. For example, 3601 would be the 36th week of 2001. I do not consider tires older than three years safe to ride on. Blow a tire on a car and you probably will coast to a stop and maybe bend a rim. Blow a tire on a motorcycle and chances are considerably greater you will spend some serious time in the hospital.......

Earl
          I don't know if that system is used world wide, DOT is the US governments Department Of Transportation, Great Britain may use a different system.
          you will have to look for the DOT stamp.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sounds good about those numbers, I'll check that out, but it looks very new anyway, it still has the green and red strip down the centre of the thread and there's no perishing or other damage. I reckon it came straight off a new bike. I don't ride in the wet much anyway, so I'll give it a go.

Comment

Working...
            X