Carb float problem 78 gs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb float problem 78 gs400

i have recently rebuilt my 78 gs twins carbs and discovered a smallllll crack on one of the floats when shaken i could hear some old gas in it i drilled a small hole and drained it then soldiered it......i sanded it down as smooth as possible without reopening it, but im skeptical...im sure it will be heavier and not float as well and will be thrown off....do you think this will work....are new floats exspensive could i get them made of plastic for this carb ? your help would be appriciated

There is no quick answer. You may have used a tin soldier or a lead one.

Solder, however, is usually partly lead, and even if used in small quantities, it is heavy, relative to the function intended, and its application.

In this case, we do not know how much you used, and a small difference in weight makes a significant difference to flotation, so there is no means of determining if it will work, except by trial and error.

You need to see if the valve (needle against seat) shuts when it should. You can try removing the drain plug and using a transparent tube installed in its place, and bent upwards, beside the fuel bowl. This allows you to literally see exactly where the fuel level is, and if it stops flowing when it should.

Adjustments to the float level would follow this step.

You would need to do the same for each carb, to ensure accuracy.

Adjust the carb float as best as possible. (you will have to pull the carbs to do this, as the bottom has to be removed. Allow yourself some time for the extra effort)

You may find that the additional weight hampers the rise of the float, and it cannot rise enough to seat the needle, and stop the fuel flow, even after all adjustments have been made.

If you cannot stop the flow with the adjustments, well....that's all folks. You need a new float.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

floats

Thanks Ron for the help i undertstand where im going with this now....just one more thing...do they make the aftermarket floats plastic?? this ones so old it looks like brass

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have the answer to that one.

Bike Bandit is often a good place to look

also try

Sirius often have hard-to-find carb parts, and they are always very responsive to any e-mails you send them..
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I picked up brass floats from my carbs at a salvage yard for less than 20$.

The fellow behind the desk noted that the GS twins were notorious for old technolgy used on them. I think it wasn't until '83 when they got the plastic floats.

Comment

floats

could i get the plastic floats from an 83 bike if it uses thwe same carbs on mine...........its a 78 gs400

Comment

Working...
            X