Should I change the oil ...........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I change the oil ...........?

O.K; so I put my bike away for the season in early October after it snowed to beat hell. I changed the oil et cetera at that time. November though has been more like September, and I pulled the bike out and got some riding in, doing about 300 km. Should I change the oil again before putting her away ?
    I was going to leave it, but what do you guys think ? Thanks 8)

Re: Should I change the oil ...........?

I would change it. Three quarts of oil isnt that costly.

Earl

Originally posted by pidgey
    O.K; so I put my bike away for the season in early October after it snowed to beat hell. I changed the oil et cetera at that time. November though has been more like September, and I pulled the bike out and got some riding in, doing about 300 km. Should I change the oil again before putting her away ?
    I was going to leave it, but what do you guys think ? Thanks 8)
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl is right....the insurance value of new oil is not high.

Other than to ensure you have CLEAN oil when starting the engine in spring, the reason for changing the oil is twofold: acidification due to combusuion by-products, and water, which results from condensation. Both can negatively affect your engine.

A single ride of 300km is not likely enough to cause serious acidification, but it will have brought in some small amount of water.

On the other hand (apart from 2 fingers .....of scotch :P ) you may want to leave it alone, and (presuming weather permits) just get out and ride more often throughout the winter.

I know, Edmonton gets much colder temperatures, and longer winters, than in my area, but I have managed to get the GK out on the road at least once in every calendar month since I have had it.

This winter it may not happen, as there is a fair amount of work to be done....(clutch, head, exhaust system...maybe more).

I did get out on it for an hour tonight. Temperature is fairly warm, compared to Alberta...about 4C/40F)
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yeah, we're supposedly in for an El -Nino type winter on the prairies and that usually equals not much snow \/ I remember riding on christmas day @1996 I think it was. I'll wait until after the new year and see how she shapes up weather wise.
        Thanks for the input.

Comment

Change the oil........ yes. And after you change it, just start up the engine and let it run for about 30 seconds to circulate that new oil everywhere.

Also as a good idea, get some fogging oil and spray down in the cylinders. It will displace any water in there and keep your piston rings nice and happy over the winter.

Chad
          Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Working...
          X