• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air BOX

I have three questions
    First does the stock air box come out of the frame on a 1983 GS550ES
    I can't seem to get it out
    Second would an 83 GS550ED speedo gear work on an 83 GS550ES
    Third what are the cylnder like things I see when I'm looking at my carbs they have a needle pointing down and do not move up and down when I pull the thottle cable
    THanks

To get the air box out, I'll bet you need to pull the carbs off first. At least that's the way it is with my bikes.

Third what are the cylnder like things I see when I'm looking at my carbs they have a needle pointing down and do not move up and down when I pull the thottle cable
    These are the carb slides, and they open from the increased force of air flow that is generated by the throttle bodies (butterflys) that open when you twist the throttle cable. You have what are called CV or constant velocity carbs. The concept is to match the gas flow to the air flow more accurately. When you twist the throttle, the air flow is obviously increased.

Not sure about the speedo gear.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The slides should move.

The slides should move if you use your finger. The throtle wont make them move though.

We might as well tell you now about the air box on these things.

A stock jettet set of CV carbs will make the bike run like poop if you run it with no air box/stock oiled filter.

Comment

I have one solution, SAWZ ALL.

Comment

i had a problem removing MY airbox in the summer....

my problem was i was trying to be too gentle.

Solution: get *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed, rip that *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$er out. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X