Open Exhaust for 1980 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Exhaust for 1980 GS550

Hello All - New to the forum, but have had a 1980 GS550E for 10 years...only 15K on the clock...

Previous owner punched out the rear exhaust so I ordered two new Dunstall Type mufflers from JC Whitney...been running it like this for 10 years...

The new mufflers have removable baffles, with the option of no baffles at all, so I was wondering if anyone runs open pipes and what effect they will have on the performance...I don't have any other mods on the bike...currently the bike runs strong through the whole rev range...

Thanks
    Frank

I took the packing out of the V&H on my GS1100 for about 2 weeks. It ran great. But, there always is a but, it was so loud I couldn't think and it rattled my teeth, also my gas milage went from near 50MPG to less then 40MPG. The packing went back in.

Comment

you will have to rejet if you remove the baffels from your pipes, the cv carbs especially on the 550 are very sensitive to change, i run a 4 into 1 mac with a competion baffel (high flow) and run pods and a dynajet stg3 jet kit with accel coils.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Re: Open Exhaust for 1980 GS550

Originally posted by Cptarmy2002
        Hello All - New to the forum, but have had a 1980 GS550E for 10 years...only 15K on the clock...

Previous owner punched out the rear exhaust so I ordered two new Dunstall Type mufflers from JC Whitney...been running it like this for 10 years...

The new mufflers have removable baffles, with the option of no baffles at all, so I was wondering if anyone runs open pipes and what effect they will have on the performance...I don't have any other mods on the bike...currently the bike runs strong through the whole rev range...

Thanks
        Frank
        Do a search in the Technical Forum for "Harley Mufflers" or "HD Mufflers." Someone tried to run with straight pipes on their GS and it really messed things up performance-wise.

I did do the mod with the stock HD pipes with the baffles in on my GS, and it turned out fine.

Comment

It's not going to have much change on performance...if any. It'll just be tremendously louder.

I think its the only thing left I can do to mine to accomplish 'full rat' as Ryan would say. :P

Comment

WORD

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I have a bandit 1200 stainless 4 into 1 with no end can on my GS850. It's loud, very loud. I went up 2 sizes of main jets with the standard filter. I feel it lost a little torque and gained some top end. Fuel consumption went up a small bit.

Comment

I'm running straight pipes & pod filters on my 850 with no problems, the shorter the pipe the louder it will be , the longer = less noise, you will have to re jet 8)

Comment

Follow Up Question

I had to take the original mufflers off my 25 year old GS550L; the were blown and loud and really rusty. The pipes are in decent shape. Took the two pipes with the welded on mufflers to a welding shop; he will cut off the old mufflers and weld on a stub so I can use slip-ons from this point forward.

The replacement mufflers I've purchased are Emgo, 19-inch turnouts with steel baffle cores, but no packing material. It isn't a straight shot, but by the light shining into it from either end, you can pretty well see the inside of the muffler when looking through it from the other end. Questions:

1) Did I buy mufflers that are going to end up being way loud or are baffles alone pretty effective sound dampers even without packing? I wanted to improve the situation, not make it noisier.

2) Do you think the change will result in the bike being acceptably close to its original airflow and backpressure (i.e., with its original megaphone), or did I mess things up and will rejetting be needed?

3) If yes to both questions 1) and 2), what suggestions do folks have for a better slip-on replacement choice that would be quiet and very similar to the original units (though I'd still prefer straight; don't like the megaphone look)?

Thanks for any thoughts and observations. Have a great T'Day.

Comment

Ooops, correction. That should be Yes to 1) (I made the thing louder instead of quieter) and No to 2) (the mufflers don't have enough backpressure and/or airflow is messed up enough that rejetting would be necessary).

Comment

Working...
                    X