HELP!!! Electrical gremlins??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! Electrical gremlins??

OK here's the deal: I parked my bike on Friday, all was fine except taht I busted the turn signal switch so they didn't work. I go camping Saturday and start tje bike Sunday. Now my tail light doesn't work, the guage lights don't work and my tach doesn't work. The only things that work are my high/low beam, my high/low beam indicator light and my speedo. I have no clue why this would have hapopened!! I don't know how it could have blown a fuse while sitting but I haven't checked yet either. I'm not overly mechanically inclined so I'm not too sure what may have happened or what to do to fix it. Help please as we all know it's not the safest thing riding around with no tail lights, tach or guage lights at night (which I must do for work). I also must get around to fixing my turn signals but that's another story.
    Thanks for any help.
    Shaun

1983 GS750ESD 33,xxxKM

Check the fuses. If you have a short at the switch it can definitely blow one.
    Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
      Check the fuses. If you have a short at the switch it can definitely blow one.
      Axel
      Definitely first thing to check. All items mentioned are on the same fuse.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

still no joy....

Ok, pulled the seat and side covers off. I looked around for some fuse type things and checked every connection I could find and tried to clean and replug it. Still doesn't work, I don't think I found any fuses tho. Does the bike have a specific fuse box or are they just jumbled around here and there? If so where would I find the fuse for the above mentioned lights? For now I have attached a set or bike LED to my license plate to make myself visible. I will try taking things apart tomorrow morning to try to fix it more. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I'm all ears!
        Thanks inadvance.
        Shaun

Comment

Check headlight housing!

On my gs750e, almost the same thing happened when I had done my front breaks. Very strange, I thought. Of course, the electrical system doesn't have anything to do with the brakes.

I checked the fuses, and voil?, the fault was found and fixed. This however didn't explain why it happened in the first place...

The reason, I found out, was that when I did my breaks, I moved the headlamp a little to get the brakeline out. In the headlamp there's a big rats nest of wires. All connections and groundings of the front lamps are here. The lamp gets hot, the plastic gets old, and the shielding on the cables melt a little. That's why the fuse blew. Some tape fixed the problem.

/ Henrik

Comment

Fuse box

Yes, the fuses are under the left side cover in a box. Just pull the lid off. There could also be a single fuse for extra gear, but that's not the one to check.

/ Henrik

Comment

hey Klack yes fuses are under the left side cover in a clear case......more than likely that`s what it is mine did the same thing a few years ago sure enough checked the fuse and bingo was his nameo......and if it`s not fixed by the weekend might be able to take a scoot down your way this weekend alway`s looking for a good excuse to take a ride :twisted:

Comment

found the culprit but...

OK I found the fuse box it was the big one marked FUSES on it, duh!! hehehe, anyways I checked them all and hte signal 10amp fuse was blown so I replaced it and the next one burnt out immediately. I assume this means that there is short somewhere. but where? y turn signal swich is busted could it be in there? but all the lights still worked for a while even with the switch broken. maybe I will try and take the turn switch apart and see if there are any wires or whatever n there that are crossed? any other ideas as to what migt be on that circuit causing a short?
                Cheers,
                Shaun

Comment

turn signals

Broken switch is HIGHLY suspect. Check it out; the problem's most likely there!

Comment

Before you take the switch apart, just unplug the switch from the circuit. The connections should be in the headlight housing. If you can then put a new fuse in without it blowing, you have found your culprit.
                    JP
                    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                    1992 Concours
                    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                    2007 FJR

Comment

By all means unplug the wires in the headlight first.

If you have to pull apart the switch then

A- put a large, clear plastic bag over it and
                      B- loop something stretchy over the open end, then
                      C- put your hands in and work inside the bag.

The switch is full of tiny parts and a few springs, so you have a good chance of losing them unless they are contained before the switch is opened.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have conquered the Beast!!

Success, while I didn't fix the turn signals as it turns out I ned a new littel plastic thingy I did fix the short circuit and get my lights going again without blowing fuses. I took the whole switch apart. I must apologize because I did it without following any suggestions posted here because I hadn't read them yet. But I took it all apart didn't lose anything and eventually got it back together in one piece and voila she works. So THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all and any help. I'm really proud that I did this becaue it's the first kinda technical thing I've accomplished alone on my bike! yay me.
                        thanks again,
                        Shaun

Comment

Working...
                        X