Need More Power!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might try the simple things...

Check your air filter, plugs, synthetic oil, tire pressure, etc to make sure the bike is putting out what it can. Upgrading any of these to the best you can get is still cheap enough to try.

A 125 is not a crotch-rocket, but it can still out-run a car under some of the best conditions -- for a little while anyway.

Also, make sure that the rear sprocket hasn't been increased to something geared for off-road. You can get more top-end speed by making the rear sprocket smaller. This will decrease the "quickness" of the bike, but freeway speeds won't be rattling your teeth.

And ALWAYS, be safe. The first rule of biking -- defensive riding. You are invisible to a vast majority of cars, and the first mistake you can make is to become "confident" (notice I didn't say "overly confident?")

Cheers

Roger Moore

Comment

Ride the 125 a little longer and get your skill level polished as much as possible. The bike I would recommend you look at next is a GS500. It's been around since the mid '80s and gets refined a bit more as time goes by. It is still in production today. It is the last of the GS line still being built. Here is a link to Suzuki's website showing the latest version. Click on GS500 to see it.

Comment

"... tire pressure .... Also, make sure that the rear sprocket hasn't been increased to something geared for off-road. "

I'll second that!! Best advice yet!! Just drop the back down a couple teeth at a time. Maybe your local shop has some junk parts you can play with to try and find the sweet spot. When the top speed start to drop you are there.

Even cheaper, try to make yourself as small as possible when riding. You want to have as little air resistance as possible. If you dare, dangle your feet out the back and shift using your arm (look ma, no pegs). Learn to push off with both feet using the weight of your body to push the bike of the start. Wear tight fitting clothes and loose a little weight. Of course, maybe that "dangle your feet out the back" is a bit much. Forget that one, for now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
          "... tire pressure .... Also, make sure that the rear sprocket hasn't been increased to something geared for off-road. "

I'll second that!! Best advice yet!! Just drop the back down a couple teeth at a time. Maybe your local shop has some junk parts you can play with to try and find the sweet spot. When the top speed start to drop you are there.

Even cheaper, try to make yourself as small as possible when riding. You want to have as little air resistance as possible. If you dare, dangle your feet out the back and shift using your arm (look ma, no pegs). Learn to push off with both feet using the weight of your body to push the bike of the start. Wear tight fitting clothes and loose a little weight. Of course, maybe that "dangle your feet out the back" is a bit much. Forget that one, for now anyway.
          You will have this guy running a 125cc dragster soon

Comment

It seems to me like Alex asked an honest question and all((sorry, I meant some of)) you macho guys are stepping on him--Maybe he just wants a little more power out of his 125cc bike. maybe he cant afford another bike. Alex Ihope you are not turned off by the responses. This is a bit unusual.
            Yeah, pretty harsh, sorry Alex. It's just a joke my friend, and seeing as we don't have much else to brag about, us big bore boys need to find something to make us more masculine.

Truth is this guy could probably out-ride any of us!!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well give me any bike and I'll push it to its limit! I've had a few off road races and Crashes. If your willing to risk anything like that then I'll see how good you are against a young lad like my self. You Physicaly matured people.
              I welcome Any challenge

Comment

Originally posted by WhosYaDaddy
                Well give me any bike and I'll push it to its limit! I've had a few off road races and Crashes. If your willing to risk anything like that then I'll see how good you are against a young lad like my self. You Physicaly matured people.
                I welcome Any challenge
                We have ridden for many years and avoid would be hot shoes like a plague

Comment

Have you ever noticed there seems to be a relationship between how far a person will stretch the boundary in personal thrill-seeking enjoyment based upon the amount of times they've smacked their head into the pavement. This has always amazed me. :roll:

Comment

Because you've found the limits of a 125 which you thought had been restricted doesn't mean you can handle a 750 or liter class bike. Your post reflects a lack of respect for the power these bikes possess. You wouldn't last a day on one with that kind of attitude. You will reach your limit long before one of these bikes does.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Moore
                      Have you ever noticed there seems to be a relationship between how far a person will stretch the boundary in personal thrill-seeking enjoyment based upon the amount of times they've smacked their head into the pavement. This has always amazed me. :roll:
                      I HAVE A FEW OLD HELMETS WITH ABOUT 1/4 INCH OF FIBER GLASS SCRAPED OFF FROM AN INVOLINTARY SLIDE--I ALSO CRACKED A COUPLE FROM BANGING MY HEAD ON THE PAVEMENT (No JB not in my driveway)). Just for the record, after 40 years of driving a bike i still stink in the twisties

Comment

Well give me any bike and I'll push it to its limit! I've had a few off road races and Crashes. If your willing to risk anything like that then I'll see how good you are against a young lad like my self.
                        Keep dreaming. Nobody is going to give you anything and nobody in their right mind would let somebody with that kind of attitude ride their bike. You state you've had a few off road races and crashes. That just means you reached your limit, not the bike's. Doesn't sound very confidence inspiring to me. When you and your bike grow up I'll be glad to meet you for a race, 1/4 mile or a hundred miles, you choose. I travel all across the country working so I'll head your way some day. Then you'll find out what maturity does for a person. You can't win races laying on the ground.

Comment

I welcome Any challenge
                          I have been riding for over 25 years and 16 of them on GS1150's. I have ridin at the bikes limits several time and twice it cost me a stay in the hospital.

I normally ride below what I know is my limit and not the bikes. It is nice to see that you are enthusiastic about riding but enthusiasm can not make up for experience. Don't let people goad you into trying to show your metal on the streets as it will kill you.

Comment

All a crash proves is that you have exceeded your skill level. If youre crashing 125cc range bikes, and considering your attitude, I
                            think your perspective and skill need some work.
                            If you plan on riding on the street and seeing your next birthday, then you must ride within your skill level. It only takes one example of poor judgement to get you killed out there.
                            When youre very young, you feel youre invincible. Trust me on this, the lights can go out in the snap of a finger.
                            I've been riding nearly 30 years and I'm still around. Youre not going to be. Billy and Hank are telling you like it is. I would take heed.

Earl

I welcome Any challenge
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I welcome Any challenge
                              OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH how manly you are

Comment

Working...
                              X