Rev limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rev limiter

78 gs bike.....could somone tell me if this makes sence.....wiring a solinoid switch small one right in the power supply to the coils and figure out some way to activate the switch when the engine reaches about 8500rpm and cut out the coils this would slow the engine and give it the up and down effect when held wide open plus it wouldnt back fire or nothing once the coils reactivate as long as all the timing isnt played with....??

Re: Rev limiter

Since throttles were designed to control rpm, the bike already has a rev limiter. The only way to over rev the engine is to whack the throttle wide open, and hold it there while ignoring the tach. Perhaps some practice in throttle management?

Earl

Originally posted by bboxer872002
    78 gs bike.....could somone tell me if this makes sence.....wiring a solinoid switch small one right in the power supply to the coils and figure out some way to activate the switch when the engine reaches about 8500rpm and cut out the coils this would slow the engine and give it the up and down effect when held wide open plus it wouldnt back fire or nothing once the coils reactivate as long as all the timing isnt played with...........................reason being this engine revs way to high and has no limit im always over doing it and im not the only driver i wouldnt want to ruin it i think idea would work but im not sure :roll:
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I would be inclined to follow Earl's suggestion, as it appears the riders have little interest in the welfare of the bike. If that is the case, then probably damage is not limited to over-revving the engine, and it suggests the riders are far from good.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

wutever bud , i wanted to know because it would be cool---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------fart------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

rev

Think about this as you cut the coil power off, and hold the throttle open you are still running gas thru the engine , this gas is now building up when the ingnition is in the off cycle, raw gas is now in the pipes and muffler the coils come back on line and boom, the raw gas ignites, your going back down the road to pick up your muffler cause it blew off

Comment

The new FI bikes cut the fuel off not the ign to shut down

Comment

Some fourwheelers have a cdi box that shuts off the ignition when it revs too high

Comment

Re: rev

But but, you could be so cooool with your ass on fire and your muffler laying in the road. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                Think about this as you cut the coil power off, and hold the throttle open you are still running gas thru the engine , this gas is now building up when the ingnition is in the off cycle, raw gas is now in the pipes and muffler the coils come back on line and boom, the raw gas ignites, your going back down the road to pick
                up your muffler cause it blew off
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A rev limiter is a nice feature, but not really needed. It is a safety if you miss a gear, when you're racing. As for backfiring, yes it will pop, and if you were to hold it on the limiter it would be bad, but the amount of time the limiter actually is in use it probably wouldn't be a problem. My electric shifter will pop pretty good sometimes, and that just kills the coils for a split second.

I have a Dyna rev limiter, and I think all it does is kill the coils when the rpms get too high, but it may mess with the timing, I'm not sure. It does hook to the coils neg, so it could do timing.

Comment

You could find an old MSD MC2 ingnition box, it has build in rev-limiter's, you could use the 2nd rev-limter when your sitting at a light at WOT and the rpm is say 4K until you pop the clutch then your goneeeeeeeeeee.

Plus you won't blow your muffler up
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

bboxer872002 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:21 am Post subject: Rev limiter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

78 gs bike.....could somone tell me if this makes sence.....wiring a solinoid switch small one right in the power supply to the coils and figure out some way to activate the switch when the engine reaches about 8500rpm and cut out the coils this would slow the engine and give it the up and down effect when held wide open plus it wouldnt back fire or nothing once the coils reactivate as long as all the timing isnt played with....??
                      I think what you are describing is a typical ignition rev limiter- that's exactly how they work- right guys?
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: rev

[quote="earlfor"]But but, you could be so cooool with your ass on fire and your muffler laying in the road. LOL

Earl
                        But,pardon the pun, 8O :x , Earl, imagine how cool of a show that would be at night. You could turn your headlight off if you were following
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

seems like noone knows what there talking about :roll: so does a ignition rev limiter work or will my muffler fly off? or you dont know

Comment

Rev

Depending on the system, they work in one of several ways they can retard the timing, bring revs down. they can cut spark with a limit on the time that its in the cycle off mode not more than a second or two, and also can cycle spark to fire every other ignition cycle witch, also will cut revs, in the case of fuel injection the fuel is regulated to control revs, take an old caburated car with out a steering lock system, so you can still drive it, get it going down the road turn the key off with the gas open and coasting in gear then turn the key back on and boom you get a huge back
                            fire and the muffles will either go from oval shaped to a round ball or blow off altogether,want to know how I know its called I have done it and later slapped in the head by my dad after he saw the mufflers split wide open on his 63 corvette. Iam out of this dim witted post

Comment

Re: Rev

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                              Depending on the system, they work in one of several ways they can retard the timing, bring revs down. they can cut spark with a limit on the time that its in the cycle off mode not more than a second or two, and also can cycle spark to fire every other ignition cycle witch, also will cut revs, in the case of fuel injection the fuel is regulated to control revs, take an old caburated car with out a steering lock system, so you can still drive it, get it going down the road turn the key off with the gas open and coasting in gear then turn the key back on and boom you get a huge back
                              fire and the muffles will either go from oval shaped to a round ball or blow off altogether,want to know how I know its called I have done it and later slapped in the head by my dad after he saw the mufflers split wide open on his 63 corvette. Iam out of this dim witted post
                              Your dad actually LET you drive his '63 'Vette? 8O
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                              X