83 GS 1100 ESD - plug cap resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 1100 ESD - plug cap resistance

Does anybody know what the resistance of the plug caps should be for an 83 GS 1100 ESD? I ordered aftermarket NGK plug caps from Denis Kirk. They say they should be 5 ohm. Not sure why, but I thought they should be 10 ohm. With the new NGK?s installed, I read 20 and 21 ohms through each secondary on the coils. I have a problem I?m trying to sort out and think this is the best place to start. Depending on the feedback on this, I?ll add more to the story later to keep the post short.

My 81 1100 calls for 5 ohm caps, I'm allmost sure your's does too.

Comment

The plug caps are 5K ohms coils are 3 ohms

Comment

The 5k caps have a built-in resistor to supress radio interference, the 5 Ohm ones don't have the resistor. You can use either one.
        5 or 10 Ohms doesn't matter in this case, because of the high voltage they are transporting.
        All mentioned types will work fine.

Comment

GS 1100 - electrical problem???

OK, here is a quick history. I recently bought this GS that hadn?t run in a couple of years. Bike has 20k mi and is in very good condition. It ran before it was parked, I know this because it was my brothers. Fuel sys had not been treated or drained before being parked, so I knew I would be overhauling the carbs etc. After some work and fresh fuel, I proceeded to start the bike. It ran perfect. Shut it down after about 5 minutes. The next day, started it again and ran it for about 5 minutes, no problems. The following day when I started it, it lumped like a twin. To date, I can?t even get it to fire. My initial thought was a bad coil or something electrical since the problem mysteriously arose over night. Here?s what I done. Plugs are new and gaped properly. Doing the coil check, I get 3.8 on the primaries (per the book, should be 3-5) and 20, 21 on the secondaries (per the book, should be 31-33). Possibly my problem? Ignition pickup coil reads approx 310 (book says 250-360). Ign. Amplifier seems ok per the spark flop cyl 3 to cyl 4 test. Any insight will be very appreciated!

Comment

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. But still, have you taken a plug out, grounded it to the frame and checked for the arc at the electrodes? If she's arcin' up the wrong tree yer barkin'. ( the last sentance is a quotable quote from Johnnie Cochran at the OJ trial. 8O )

Comment

That must be the reason Johnnie can afford those expensive suits.

Pulled plugs, and they do spark. Not exactly the nice "fat blue" I would expect, but there is a spark. Also, when I pull the plugs (this has been done more then a few times), they are a little wet, which indicates I'm getting fuel. At the same time, they don't appear soaked like too much fuel. Any other ideas for me to check? I've already pulled the petcock and it works as it should. The puzzling thing to me is the "ran better then I ever expected" to "overnight won't even pop". I'm not new to the internal combustion engine, but this is a first for me.

Comment

Working...
              X