Clenaing Electrical Connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clenaing Electrical Connectors

We've hashed this over before and I've worked on three GS series bikes (850G, 1100G,1100GL) cleaning and replacing connectors and plugs. The December issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article about ProGold electronic contact conditioner. Have any GSer's used this product? They have a web site (caig.com) and from the descriptions given of the product(s) may be worth looking into.
    Thought I'd pass this along. Any thing to keep 'em on the road,ya' know?
    Stay safe and enjoy the holidays,
    Bob Young
    GS850G
    Gs110G"L" (wife's bike)
    Yreka,Ca.

Have not used that specific product, but:

My observation is that the GS connectors have 3 problems:
    - They seem to be undersized (for the requirements of the stator anyway) especially after the connector loosen up..
    - The connector mating surfaces corrode (or whatever that stuff is).
    - The area where the connectors crimp onto/around the wires corrode (or whatever).

Seems like any kind of electrical connector cleaner cant really help on 2 of these 3 problems. Again, I am speaking about the stator connectors(sometimes called 'bullet' connectors).

The cleaner stuff might be helpfull on other connectors to help clean up aand/or prevent the corrosion. I have used other contact cleaner (from Radio Shack) on suspect connectors, does seem to work better than WD40.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Re: Clenaing Electrical Connectors

Originally posted by Bob Young

We've hashed this over before and I've worked on three GS series bikes (850G, 1100G,1100GL) cleaning and replacing connectors and plugs. The December issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article about ProGold electronic contact conditioner. Have any GSer's used this product? They have a web site (caig.com) and from the descriptions given of the product(s) may be worth looking into.
      Thought I'd pass this along. Any thing to keep 'em on the road,ya' know?
      Stay safe and enjoy the holidays,
      Bob Young
      GS850G
      Gs110G"L" (wife's bike)
      Yreka,Ca.
      Friend of mine is Chief Engineer for a small broadcast group, swears by that stuff (and swears at the stuff he uses it on!!! )

I've tried the Pro-Gold on some fuzzy portable radio pots and it worked very well. Never bought any tho' because it's so damn expensive.

Just checked their website. Radio Shack is now a distributor.

Comment

I've used another CAIG product, DeoxIT D5. It was recommended by a guy at a good electronics shop. I checked CAIG's website CAIG Labs and it says Deoxit D5 is for connectors with discoloration or corrosion while ProGold says it is for connectors in good condition.

The website also has a link on the home page for a tutorial on their products if you aren't sure what product you need. I went through it, selected 'Individual' for Customer Type, 'Automotive' for Industry Application, and 'Harsh' for Environment Type. The results came back with several DeoxIT products but no ProGold products.

I paid about $12 for a small aerosol canof Deoxit D5. It has a three position spray nozzle so you can regulate the amount of spray. I did every connector on my 1100E twice and I have enough left over to do probably 20 more bikes.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
        X