Center stand vs side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand vs side stand

SIMPLE explaination please. What is the reason for trailering a bike on the side stand vs the center stand

Personally, I am more comfortable with both wheels down on the trailer at the same time, hence the sidestand. Three points of contact spread over a greater distance makes for a better center of gravity. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

I personally like having both wheels on the ground as well. But I use straps to hold it in position, so it is not sitting on either stand, but standing straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonkie
        I personally like having both wheels on the ground as well. But I use straps to hold it in position, so it is not sitting on either stand, but standing straight up.
        Same here, the side stand is a just in case measure of safety.

I also use a Canyon Dancer(click on text for info) and a front wheel chock, and straps on the rear as well.

Comment

I'm with kabonkie, I always hauled them straight up with no stand. If you use the center stand, how could you get the front wheel against the front of the trailer???

Comment

Dude, don't trailer your bike with it on the centerstand. You need to use the shocks a little. Use straps on the front of the bike and compress the front fork about 90%. Keep the bike nice and level. Some people will go all day with just the two straps on the front of the bike, but I like to add two on the rear. I don't compress the rear shock at all. Then I put the kickstand down only as a last ditch safety measure if the straps break.

So, simple answer- don't use either center or side stand.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Agree with Jetro et al. On the centre stand it will bang and jump around. Strap it in the ride on the suspension a bit. You need to positively locate the front and rear wheels

Comment

I agree with Jethro
                Strap it down Angle the front ones towards the front of the trailer/pickup bed.

And put it in gear
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Why trailer at all? Isn't it more fun to drive it there. LOL

Vic

Comment

Right, but in case of emergency...

I trailered my bike a couple of times. I left the side stand down, just in case, but as has been suggested I put enough tension on the tie-downs so that they were supporting the bike, and the side stand wasn't actually touching the deck. It was still there to help catch the bike in case something went horribly wrong, though.

It's also important to note not to cinch down the straps TOO much. The shocks should be compressed some, but not completely. That helps the bike ride over bumps better, since trailers often don't have particularly soft suspension.

Of course, after learning all this the hard way through experience, I ended up getting a truck and selling my trailer.

Comment

You shouldn't, as mentioned, use the stands when tying down a bike. This will allow for the suspension to work a little and prevent slack in the tiedowns when stopping abruptly or on rough roads. Side stand down just in case is a good idea. One other "just in case" thing I always do is to use one of those heavy black rubber bungie cords between the hooks on each tiedown to keep the hooks in place. If for some reason, such as a huge bump or a panic stop, and the suspension compresses too much this will keep the hooks in place.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Who's to say the bike won't fall on the rightside. Buy 4 good tie-down straps and compress that front end down. Use the other 2 straps to keep the rear in place while making sharp turns. Put it in gear and leave the side and center stands alone.

You can haul but all day and it's not going anywhere.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

This may sound a little dumb, but...I have a Ford Ranger flareside (short, stepside bed) and I put the bike in at an angle (bike all the way to the right, handlebars full lock left, front wheel to the front left corner of the bed) and tie the bike off by the back of the frame and the handlebars to the tiedowns. The bike is held steady with the tiedowns sitting on its tires only. I can even close my tailgate believe it or not!
                          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Was wonder where this was.

I don't actually have a trailer, however, I do have a 2000 Sierra extcab short bed. Thats what I haul my GK in. I try to avoid hauling though because . . . . . well, nevermind why. Its easy to load at the house but unloading makes me weak in the knees. Graphic visions of twisted sheet metal rampage through my head 8O . How come riding doesn't scare me that way? Guess some things just aint natura :? l. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Don't want to tear up either one.

Comment

On the trailer or in the bed of my truck, I put the bike all the way forward with the front tire pressed against the back of the truck cab or the tire against the front of the trailer. Three ratchet straps on each side pulling the bike forward. One ratchet strap fron left to right and on top of the rear tire.
                              One ratchet strap on each side of the forks straight across. One ratchet strap on each side straight across at the frame at the rear shocks. The bike is placed using the sidestand, but once the ratchet straps are tightened, it sits upright. The ramps slide in on each side of the bike, which also keeps the front wheel straight. The ramps are also held in place with ratchet straps.

Havent had a bike get loose yet. :-)

Earl
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X