Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Dyna coils, what else do I need with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Dyna coils, what else do I need with them?

If I buy a set of coils like these: http://www.starracing.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=DI

I will also need wires and caps right?

What kind of wires do I need?

Can I just buy them by the yard at the local auto supply store?

How do they attach to the coils, do they just screw in or is there a special clip? Do I need a special tool for that?

Do I need special spark plug caps?

I would like to get yellow wires with those red caps trhat go straight up for my Katana in the near future.

A BIG THANKS for any answers given!

Why not get some Dyna ignition leads, complete with plug caps? At least you'll know they will fit OK.

Comment

You can use reg automotive wires or the dyna wires You DO NOT reuse the suzuki caps

Comment

Why not use the Suzuki caps anymore? What else do I use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
          Don't be a Dutchman Robin!
          Just get some nice new NGK cables and caps:

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
            Don't be a Dutchman Robin!
            Just get some nice new NGK cables and caps:

I wasn't trying to be a "Dutchman" dear Harry, just seeing what my options are for this stuff since I only have dealt with stock stuff untill now.
            Don't want to do anything wrong here, I remember a topic by Detman101 where he had a lot of trouble with aftermarket coils...

Comment

On my 850 I have Dyna coils and copper wires and I have this intense electrical interference being given off. It can be heard through my Sony Walkman carried in a side pocket of my jacket and when the revs get to 4500 rpm is actually shuts the Walkman off just as sure as I had pressed the button.

Skip suggested some additional grounding for the coils and possibly the use of carbon core wires. The guy who does the most work on my bike says that carbon wires don't work well on motorcycles (vibration?). I would be interested to hear other's experiences with carbon vs copper wire.

Shortly after I got back from a 3000 mile trip on that bike this summer I had to replace both credit cards and my bank card I carry in my wallet (in a front pants pocket); the mag strips no longer worked. I reasoned it had to be from the long exposure to the bike electrics; my mechanic says it could not have been. Can't say for sure but I don't think I'll be taking any more long trips on that bike till I get control of the static.

Anyway, whatever coil/wire/cap configuration you settle on I would be sure to test it with a sophisticated electrical diagnostic device like a Walkman.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

that's real strange.. the kind of RF/EM interference you're talking about is usually generated because of a poor ground condition, or because of improper shielding on something.. i'd try what that gentleman suggested and see if you can ground everything better.. what brand of wires did you use? i wonder if they're not shielded appropriately to operate with the user in such close proximity.. weird.

Comment

I just put on a set of Dyna coils from APE / www.gszone.biz/igpage4.html. They will also give you tech info. if needed.

The Beast

Comment

I wasn't trying to be a "Dutchman" dear Harry, just seeing what my options are for this stuff since I only have dealt with stock stuff untill now.
                    Don't want to do anything wrong here, I remember a topic by Detman101 where he had a lot of trouble with aftermarket coils...
                    I was just kidding Robin, but I'm sure you already figured that out....

I would use copper wire and the plug caps without a resistor, unless Dyna says otherwise off course.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast
                      I just put on a set of Dyna coils from APE / www.gszone.biz/igpage4.html. They will also give you tech info. if needed.

The Beast
                      You'll have to remove the "period" behind the link: www.gszone.biz/igpage4.html

Comment

I reached deep into my pocket to buy a pair of new Dynatek DC1-1 coils on Ebay yesterday. $92 USD plus $8.35 shipping/insurance. $100.35 USD total. I have a feeling that I would've done even better on price if I had been more patient. Still, I saw a used pair sell on Ebay this week for $87!

Comment

NGK makes some nice plug caps. They look a lot better than those bright red or yellow things.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                            NGK makes some nice plug caps. They look a lot better than those bright red or yellow things.
                            I was planning to use Dynatek suppression wires with the NGK caps I bought 50 miles ago. I sent an e-mail to Scott at Dynatek today, asking if I could clip off their caps and install the original spec NGK caps without problems.

Comment

I used the Dyna radio suppression wire set with my coils. I did this to make sure the new wires wouldnt' interfer with my Dyna S. I've not had any issues with them.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X