Petcock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Question

I had a minute today to play with the stray "80" 750L. The battery charged to full in about 10 minutes, (after not being run for 3 years). Yeah, I know it's junk. It did crank over good though, just not for long between charges. Didn't fire up after two tries. Pulled the plugs and had spark. Pulled the carb bowl drains and got dust. Here is where I get confused.

There isn't any "handle" on the petcock???? Fine I'll admit defeat. What does the owners manual say? Nothing!!! It says something to the effect "The petcock is automatic. When the fuel gage is in the red refill the tank." So I'm looking at the fuel valve and in the middle where the handle should be there is what appears to be a slotted head plastic shaft, slot is horizontal. I turn it vertical with a screwdriver. Still no fuel. I then pull of the vacume hose and cave my head in sucking on this thing and I get this excellent flow of smelly varnish coming out of the bowl drains. Good! I hit the starter and the thing fires right up. Doesn't run to smooth, (it's a wonder it ran at all on that crap) but all pipes get hot, the oil light went off before it even started, not a trace of smoke, and after a minute on choke it idles. Perfect for sitting 2 or 3 years.

Which brings me to my question. Are you supposed to be able to prime with this valve by turnng the center shaft? The picture in the book shows it wihtout a hanlde. I can't believe they expect the average consumer to suck the vacume line every spring?

Confused,

bob

p.s. You can set off a carbon monoxide sensor on the first floor by running a bike in the basement on fast idle for 3 minutes. Just thought I'd pass that along!

This is the infamous "vacuum" petcock.
    My GS1000S has the same thing....pain in the ass until the bike starts
    then it just works.

There is a little P and "V" on the edge of the where the slotted white plastic piece is located.
    If I remember vertical or P is prime, let it get running and then turn horizontal for normal use.
    Don't let the tank run dry, you will lose vacuum.

If it's been sitting, drain the tank and fuel lines.
    Most of that petcock is plastic so be careful if you remove it.

many people here have gone to Pingel petcocks.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Mine was the same way...Absolutely pathetic. Some days it would take ten minutes to get it to start, even turning the little valve didn't seem to matter.

Eventually I went to a manual petcock--after all, all my dirt bikes had manual petcocks, and I had gotten used to the concept. The first manual petcock wasn't that great, but eventually I upgraded to the Pingel. No more problems. Looks great, works great, easy to use. Flip handle on, flip handle off.

I got mine from Schnitz Racing for something like $52. You'll need the adaptor plate too, because the petcock screws into a 3/8 NPT hole.

On mine, I made my own adaptor plate and had it soldered to the tank by a radiator shop, to eliminate the potential for leaking from that infamous little gasket.

Bottom line: get the Pingel!!!

Comment

This site is the best deal! You ask a question and you get the wisdom of years of combined experience. Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll try to clean up the original valve and see if I can get it to work correctly. I really do like the auto-shutoff feature as I am way to scattered to remember to shut it off all the time. And I sure don't want the worry of filling the crankcase.

Drive home after a great ride, get in the house, put all my gear away, take a shower, sit down to relax, remember the fuel valve, back to the garage in my bathrobe, check, only to find I did shut the valve off. Yeah, I can see it all already.

Thanks again for the input.

bob

Comment

Working...
        X