Oil temp gauge for a '78 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil temp gauge for a '78 GS 750

I've got a '78 GS 750, and I'd like to add an oil temp gauge. Anybody got any suggestions about the best method? TIA.
    1979 GS 1000

I have heard of people adding dipstick temperature guages to their KTMs. I"m not sure if they are a drilled add-on or a replacement dipper.

Steve

Comment

Dipstick oil temp gauges

On my GS, beneath the oil fill hole is what looks like transmission parts, so I don't think a dipstick could be inserted into the sump. These bikes have a sight glass for checking oil level. I knew of people using dipstick oil temp gauges on Harleys , and I've seen them advertised for Valkyries, but I think I'm out of luck in this regard.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

My bike doesn't have a sight glass to check the oil level but it does have a dipstick centred on the oil filling plug. If the stick ever fell off it would end up in my transmission too. I usually, although accidentally, probe a very large gear when replacing the cap but nothing bad has ever become of it.

Steve

Comment

VDO makes an oil temp gauge, the sender is a plug that goes into the oil drain plug and the gauge mounts on the handlebar.

bill

Comment

I have the VDO one fitted. I put it in the sump separate to the oil drain plug. I havent had the guage connected for a few years as I dont have a full fairing on anymore...

Comment

Working...
            X