Fork tube repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork tube repair

My brother recently sold me his 82 GS650G (shaft) . Actually, for the price, its more like he gave it to me .

He had recently replaced the tires and brakes and had it tuned , but an incident where he slid into the back of a car at low speed made him realize he wasn't into keeping it as much as thought.

The impact was minimal, (bike didn't even drop); but was enough to bend the fork tubes slightly. They don't stick, and the bike is still ridable , but I want to repair \replace them.

Does anyone know of a place, preferably in Canada, where I could get a used pair ? (I am checking e-bay already)

Or can I get the tubes pressed straight by a shop? if so, any suggestions.

Thanks

If they are bent they can be straightened ONLY if there is no visable kink. Check just under the lower tripple. Also check to see if the tube are twisted in the tripples Your best bet is Ebay. You can use forks from a 550/650/750 or any of the 850/1000 if you change the tripple tree also

Comment

If it were me, I'd just haunt eBay for a set of used forks, but if you want new tubes, this is about your only option:
      Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

"You can use forks from a 550/650/750 or any of the 850/1000 if you change the triple tree also"

I checked through parts numbers at Bike bandit and it shows my tubes part number as from 81 and 82 GS650G only.

But you're saying that if I basically get a complete front end, I can swap it out?

Is there any machining; extra parts; etc involved (A link to a site on how to do this step by step would be appreciated)

Thanks

Comment

There's a set for sale right here on the GS web site.

See the for sale section
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
          X