X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braided Brake lines

Was considering replacing my old brake lines with new braided lines on my
    82 GS650G (shaft)

A bike shop suggested running too long lines directly from the master cylinder to each caliper, eliminating the junction on the forks.

He said it was used by racers as it eliminates a potential spot where air can be trapped so you can also bleed them easier.

It also looks to be cheaper as it means only buying 2 lines instead of 3, and less fittings.

Anyone ever tried this?

This is a popular mod for anyone changing to braided or standard brake lines. It has been questioned as to why Suzuki ever set them up like that anyway.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

How does that work? Do you just hook up two lines right off the master cylinder to each caliper? That seems like somewhat of an eyesore...

Les

Comment

I installed braided lines this year and used the three line setup. I went with three lines for aesthetic reasons and because in my research I found there wasn't much, if any, difference in the results . Racers use the two line setup because it has one less point of failure. I had no problems bleeding with the three line setup. After bleeding my front brake lever was so firm that I had to adjust the brake light switch. The lever would not move far enough to make the switch with the braided lines.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

How does that work? Do you just hook up two lines right off the master cylinder to each caliper?
          Yup. The banjo bolt is replaced with one that is long enough for the two ends to slide over and a line runs straight to each caliper individually. It doesn't look any better/worse than the OEM 3 line set up to my eyes, but it is WAY easier to bleed out properly and eliminates some connections at the junction block, reducing chances of leaks.

Mark

Comment

Do it, the extra plumbing required by using the Y block is not necessary. Modern bikes use this setup because less plumbing means greater hydraulic pressure with less effort at the calipers where it is needed. It is easier to bleed also. As stated earlier, both lines run to the master using an extra long banyo to mount. I used this on my TL 1000S an am going to a two line Goodrich setup on my Kat 750 front end on the GS. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED

Comment

If you choose the two line setup, you can use the extra long banjo bolt that's in the Y block. No need to buy a new one.

.....Yes, I'm a cheap Dutchman....

Comment

Yep, Did this on my 650 kat works well.

Comment

A new set of lines will come with all hardware including new crush washers so you don't have to reuse old ones. Goodrich is the best in my opinion. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED

Comment

The first thing I did when I got my GS850 was to replace the horrible stock handlebars with a shorter bend. Sinbce this brings the master cylinder down a few inches, it creates an unsightly extra loop in the stock brake line.

Later this winter, I'm having a local shop (Cycle Outfitters in Indy) make a set of custom SS lines using the 2-line setup. They'll base them on my stock brake system so that everything is oriented correctly, and they'll make them a few inches shorter so the lines fit my handlebars better. The shop charges $7.95 a foot for the line plus $8 to $15 each for fittings.

I'm just waiting for this stupid %$#@! expensive dark cold miserable rainy holiday season to be over so I can blow a little more money on my GS!

Bah, humbug.

If you care to try making your own, here's the step-by-step:
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I sent out my spare parts to www.paragonperformance.com who will make steel braided brake line replacements for my bike. They seem real friendly through email, so I'm hoping the kit they make up is pretty smooth.

If they don't have your bike in the list, you get 50% or so off if they use your parts to make a new kit.

~Adam

Comment

I can tell you first hand that Paragon is an excellent outfit to deal with. Quality products, built and sold by quality people. I have of set of S.S. braided lines on my Gold Wing and as soon as I scrape up the extra cash I'll be putting a set on my GS1100E. Those S.S. lines make a big difference in brake feel and give you a big comfort when you compare them to the stock, original 20 year old brake hoses.

Vic

Comment

I just got lucky on eBay, bought two 28" lines and the fellow threw in one more he found lying around!! now I have to decide if I can use them as they are actually a bit too long. but 22$ for three lines sounds pretty good to me!

so on the same vein, anybody ever used the new speedbleeders? what does it take, aside from the bleeder valve, is it a special banjo bolt? longer? I think I may want to invest...

Comment

Working...
                          X