Break in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break in

I have been searching for the thread that delt with the "radical" way of breaking in a new engine...run it at max so the rings wear in correctly. If anyone knows of this web page, could you please let me know.

Kind regards....craig

Yaskawa Motoman delivers high-quality industrial robots and fully-integrated robotic automation systems that enable our customers compete globally.

Dink

Comment

Hi

Comment

Its not really radical, makes a lot of sense if done properly and you understand why. The manufacturers recommendations err on the safe side to get you through the warranty period.

Comment

There is no radical way of brakin in a new or rebuilt motor,ride it as you would normaly , but don't take it all the way to red line for the first 1000 m ,
          If you baby it to much the bore will glaze and you will have to re- hone,
          I know now (dam it). don,t do to much freeway in that time if you can help it,.The motor needs variety.
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
            There is no radical way of brakin in a new or rebuilt motor,ride it as you would normaly , but don't take it all the way to red line for the first 1000 m ,
            If you baby it to much the bore will glaze and you will have to re- hone,
            I know now (dam it). don,t do to much freeway in that time if you can help it,.The motor needs variety.
            Good luck
            We had a thread running on this a few months ago.

I think we came to the concensus that GSPaul has the right idea....

Drive it as you normally would from day one, except keep the RPMs down until after the first oil change.

Change oil early for the first time...1000km/600 miles. That is when you will find the greatest amount of particulates in the oil.

It is ESSENTIAL to change the filter as well.

The second oil change should see markedly less particulates, and after that you are running normally.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yep! that about covers it .

Comment

motodan is right on the money- if the rings do not seat properly during the first 50 miles they never will. I would recommend more frequent oil changes during breakin. I change oil and filter at:
                50 miles
                200 miles
                500 miles
                1500 miles

You will see breakin material and assembly lube in the first two changes. I consider the extra cost -less than $50- cheap insurance considering the cost and time involved in rebuilding. I recommend Valvoline petroleum 10-40 until the 1500 mile change and then switching to synthetic with regular changes at 1500 miles. This is for a highly modified bike that is ridden hard.

My last two rebuilds were done accordingly with excellent results. My 11.25-1 compression 802cc motor had cranking compression of 210psi per cylinder after full breakin. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED

Comment

Working...
                X