Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springless Auto Advance Unit

Hi All

While trying to track down a poor running problem I've discovered one of the springs is missing from the auto advance unit.

I'd like to find a spring with the correct tension, any ideas of the spec and a possible source? Are both springs the same?

Incidentally it doesn't over advance, it just advances too early in the rev range.

Thanks

Oh boy- I've been here before! You basically have 4 options:

1. Buy a new advance unit- they don't seem to sell the springs seperately, as I disparingly discovered. $130 for OEM 8O

2. Replace with a Dyna 2000 unit- electrical advance. Another $130-400 depending what else you buy with it. 8O Pricey, but the best option, really.

3. Fashion a new spring using a postal scale and some needle-nose pliers. And then convince yourself that the reason your bike runs like crap is because of the CARBS 8O 8O 8O Don't be stupid like me.

4. Search E-bay or the boneyards or aske people in this forum. Someone is bound to have one. What bike do you have? I might have one for an 1100.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think I still have a spring off the advancer for a 550, Jethro grabbed one of them to fix his bike on one of the rides we were on. Just PM, or email me your address and I'll send it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        3. Fashion a new spring using a postal scale and some needle-nose pliers. And then convince yourself that the reason your bike runs like crap is because of the CARBS 8O 8O 8O Don't be stupid like me.

4. Search E-bay or the boneyards or aske people in this forum. Someone is bound to have one. What bike do you have? I might have one for an 1100.
        Thanks for the advice, I'll put my post scale and pliers away then!

Checking the parts numbers I need one from a 850GT/GX, 1000ET, or 1000GT/GX. Unfortunately the 1100 comes up a different number. Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
          I think I still have a spring off the advancer for a 550, Jethro grabbed one of them to fix his bike on one of the rides we were on. Just PM, or email me your address and I'll send it out.
          Thanks for the offer Luke, unfortunately I think it will be different (see my reply to Jethro).

Comment

Working...
          X