Engine Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Temp

I'm waiting for my Mercury Stix to come from CycleRecyle, so I've been studying the Synching process.
    Mine is a simple question (Maybe). Everything I read says to ride the bike for a few minutes to warm it up. Actually my bike won't idle without the choke on for quite a while. Until the temp gage gets up to half way between the 160 and the 210. This usually takes about 20 minutes or so, depending on the traffic.
    So, do I go on a long ride to get to this temp?
    I've also read many people who don't need the choke. Can I expect the same results after the carb synch?

Another question is getting the little plugs out that cover the air mixture screw. Any cool methods other than drilling?

Thanks

It's been a long time since my bike was stock, but I remember it needing full choke for only 3-4 minutes to warm up when new. These bikes were set up very lean from Suzuki to get past EPA restrictions, therefore they tend to be cold blooded. After 3-4 minutes of warm up on full choke it should idle fine without using any choke at all. Depending on outside temp it may take up to 20 minutes of riding to get up to full operating temp- 210 degrees is the magic number. That is optimum oil temp and should be reached regularly as this insures that any moisture in the oil as a result of combustion gets burned off.

I assume that your bike is stock- even then it should idle normally after initial warm up. I would not run it for extended periods with choke on- this can cause excessive unburned fuel in the combustion chamber which will wash away lubricating oil from the cylinder walls causing excessive wear. Carb jetting or cleaning may be required if this is not the case. I have used GSXR carbs for the past 15 years so I can't be of much help on stock carb settings. This was a great bike-perhaps the best 750 Suzuki made prior to the GSXR. good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED
    hoping for a GS 1200SS someday

Comment

Another question is getting the little plugs out that cover the air mixture screw. Any cool methods other than drilling?
      The easiest way is to drill a pilot hole and then screw in a sheet metal screw (a #8 is about right) and use the screw to pop off the plug. The plug is a very soft metal (almost like hard solder) and easily drills and comes off. I did the ones on my ZX-9 with no trouble at all. The only thing to be careful of is to not hit the screw under the plug when you break through with the drill. I used a drill press and had no problems with a bit of care.

Mark

Comment

My cold starting improved dramatically after a carb synch, as did the overall performance. I used to have to crank the bike for about 20 seconds for it to kick over. Now I use full choke, crank it and almost instantly it fires up. I let it idle for about 30 seconds at full choke, then I slowly back the choke down and massage the throttle.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X