I want to eliminate antidive on my 82 1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to eliminate antidive on my 82 1100e

I have a gs 1100e and have heard of a mod to eliminate the antidive to give the brakes less spongyness, what has to be done.

I am planning on installing progressive springs, and can ise more air pressure.

I ride with modern rockets and pretty much Toast them in the corners but my brakes suck

Kevin

Comment

My anti-dive has been blocked off for 15+ years. With the addition of a fork brace, aftermarket springs, and steel braided lines it will really make the front end feel solid and planted under hard braking. I had block off plates fabricated at a machine shop using the anti-dive units as a template to allign the bolt holes. Below is a link with a photo showing them. Good Luck, Ed.
      1983 GS750ED

Comment

Or you can leave the anti dive units in place (looks better stock in my opinion)I removed the hose and the banjo bolt, got a bolt the same size cut the head off,because it won't fit in the recess.
        Then I put a slot in the top of the bolt,so I could use a flat blade screwdriver to drive it in.
        Touched it up with silver paint to match ,and it look's great.
        But to get the best out of your brakes you have to fit braided lines as well , makes a bigger difference than you may think.

Comment

Some here on this forum beleive air mixing with the oil causes it to foam.
          And reduces viscosity.
          I don't disagree.
          I had my 82 GS1100E front end rebuilt earlier this year.'I put in Progressive springs 15wht oil and no air.
          the anti dive is still attached.

Big difference, I have not run any air in the fork and it works fine
          Try a heavier wht oil, like 15 and ride it for a bit.

On my S model same basic setup but I've run about 6-10lbs of air.
          It's stiffer, due to the air in the fork and I haven't noticed the oil breaking down.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I have run my 83 GS1100 ESD with the anti-dive and have not noticed any problems. I purchased progressive springs, replaced the seals and installed braided stainless lines. No sponge here!!

Comment

I also do not run any air but use progressive springs with Lockhart preload adjusters and 15 weight oil. This controls dive much better than the stock anti-dive system.

The problem with the anti-dive is that it robs hydraulic pressure from the calipers to operate. You will get an increase in caliper action with less effort at the lever by removing all the extra plumbing. Also, removing the units and lines reduces 2-3 lbs of unsprung weight off the front end.

Ride On, Ed.

1983 GS750ED

Comment

Working...
              X