Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get slack in cam chain 81' GS850G (installation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get slack in cam chain 81' GS850G (installation)

Help! I found the correct head on ebay (a fellow GS'er pointed it out to me), and I am trying to install the cams and the cam chain idler (thats what alpha-sports calls it) that mounts between the cams. The problem is that there isn't any slack for the idler to be tightened down. I turned the engine via the points nut and there doesn't seem to be any "extra" links below the drive sprocket in the lower engine-what am I missing and how do I correct this?

Stupid question - You do have the cam chain tensioner out, right? If it is in place and fully extended, you will never get any slack in the chain.

Mark

Comment

Wow, I can't believe that I over looked that! I'm glad that I asked for help. It went together fairly easy after removing the cam chain tensioner, but I bet you already knew that, THANKS!

Comment

Wow, I can't believe that I over looked that!
        We've all been there...

Last time I did a jet kit (on my ZX-9) I managed to reassemble one of the carbs without the spring on top of the slide...Doh!

Mark

Comment

Make sure the timing marks still line up after you installed the idler

Comment

They should both be at 12 o'clock right?

Comment

On the exhaust cam sprocket, right side, you should see the number 1 and an arrow. The arrow should point forward and be aligned with the cylinder head surface. On the exhaust cam sprocket at the 12 oclock position you should see the number 2 and an arrow. That arrow should be pointing straight up. (12 oclock position)
              On the intake cam sprocket, you will see a number 3 and an arrow. Count 20 pins between the number 2 arrow on the exhaust sprocked and the number 1 arrow on the intake sprocket. The first pin is directly over the #2 arrow on the exhaust sprocket and the 20th pin is directly over the #1 arrow on the intake sprocket. The number 1 arrow should be in the 12 oclock position. The crankshaft must be in the TDC position and must not move during the installation process. Once completed, take a 19 mm wrench and (with the spark plugs removed) rotate the engine crankshaft a few revolutions and stopping at TDC with the cam timing aligned to check the setup. Be sure to install the cam chain tensioner before rotating the crankshaft as if you do not, it is rather easy for the chain to skip a pin and put everything out of time.

Do not, at any time, rotate the crankshaft backwards.

Earl

Originally posted by seadog
              They should both be at 12 o'clock right?
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X