Wife needs xmas help with 1982 GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife needs xmas help with 1982 GS1100GK

Ok, we have a 1982 GS1100GK. Our exhaust system is pure rust and looks like swiss cheese . (We bought it used and it wasn't very well maintained- we're still in the recovery process). I want to get my husband a new exhaust for his baby for christmas but I don't know a thing about parts. I know that the look doesn't matter as long as it rides good and I don't have a mint to spend. Anyone out there that can tell me what I need to get and the best place to get it?

Check ebay, there is always new exhaust systems on there and a few different styles such as the 4 into 2, which is the factory style and 4 into 1 (all 4 cylinders go into 1 single side pipe). I bought a brand new 4 into 1 system on ebay for 99.00. I'll post a few auctions below that might fit what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35596[/url]

Comment

I would go with the 2nd one, it is more expensive, but won't have the possible jetting problems of a 4-into-12 system.

Comment

jetting problems? Is that bad? These say GS1100, does that mean that when looking for parts the GK at the end of the model doesn't matter? Sorry I'm kinda ignorant about this stuff. I grew up on a Harley.

Comment

He's saying that the carbs would need to be modified to use the 4-1 exhaust (the first link), if you bought the 265.00 set (which is like the origionals, 4-2) you wouldn't have to do anything other than bolt them on and drive away. I would purchase the ones on the 2nd link above, they look great.

Comment

I would go with a four into one system the jetting is very simple. If I can do it anyone can. If you have a bike that is over 20 years old you better get to know it inside out. As you can see from many of the entries on this site, a GS is a wonderful piece of machinery but it needs some attention from time to time. The more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be on you. Just my two cents. Good luck, when things are working fine there is nothing better than flying down the road with a four into one screaming.

Comment

I would recommend this set here

Simply bolt on and drive away

Comment

To be sure of not having to re-jet the carbs, you are likely best to stay with the 4 into 2 stock pipes . Pipes from the 850G will also fit.

I believe some of the 16 valve engines can get along without them, but the 8-valve 1100G, GL, and GK engines all need gaskets for mounting the pipes.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                  To be sure of not having to re-jet the carbs, you are likely best to stay with the 4 into 2 stock pipes . Pipes from the 850G will also fit.

I believe some of the 16 valve engines can get along without them, but the 8-valve 1100G, GL, and GK engines all need gaskets for mounting the pipes.
                  Ron 81 to 83 16Valve engine also use gasket at the exhaust flanges, 1150 doesnt.
                  Dink

Comment

I would stay with the stock 4 into 2 factory configuration. The 4 into 1 pipes require rejetting the carbs. In theory, rejetting is simple, but in actuality, it is a time consuming, exasperating process if you want to get it right. It is not a matter of merely increasing the main jet size as so many assume. I have spent months changing main and pilot jets, messing with slide needles and tweaking carb adjustments trying to get rid of flat spots in the throttle curve and not been entirely successful. Unless one is modifying for performance and not effort is too much, I would stay away from the headaches. It is possible to get lucky and hit it right the first try or two, but it is RARE.

Earl
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Please stay with a 4 into 2 style exhaust. Rejetting on a GS1100GK is gonna be an utter pain, as each time you try something and find any change at all is needed, your husband will need to remove fairing pieces, sidecovers, fuel tank, the seat , the airbox and then displace the plenum chamber, and that is just to get at the carbs to adjust them, let alone remove them to actually change anything.
                      Dink

Comment

Forgetting about the jetting changes On a GK the 4 in 1 pipe the up swept pipe may want to occupy the same space as the rear bags go for the 4 in 2 for a GK

Comment

WARNING!!!!!!
                          remember folks, she is trying to locate a exhaust system for a GK!!! the GK exhaust system is differant from a regular G model bike due to the saddle bags!!! the mufflers do not have as much up angle to them.

notice the gap between the top of the pipe and the bottom of the aluminum foot peg bracket.

notice the regular G pipe follows the angle of the foot peg aluminum bracket closely.

they also have differant part numbers and the outer head pipe is welded to the muffler.

Comment

ok, well bolt on stuf is easier since hubby is new to this too. He would have no idea where to start rejetting anything. So I guess I'm going to try to get the 4-2 eBay auction suggested. Are you guys sure those will fit? It doesn't mention a GS1100GK in the auction (Like I said, I have no clue about any of this and I'd hate to spend $ on the wrong part). Is he going to need gaskets and if so which ones and where?
                            Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it,

Comment

Previous discussion

You might wish to have a look at this discussion:

SV

Comment

Working...
                              X