Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is putting Mobil 1 in 1980 GS1100E with 89,500 miles ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is putting Mobil 1 in 1980 GS1100E with 89,500 miles ok?

I just got this bike and I want to make sure it lasts. I'd like to put Mobil 1 in it....is there any danger in doing so with a bike so old?

Please help! Thanks!

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX :roll:

With that many miles I wonder if it will LEAK.......I also would find out what they were using in the bike before......Do you really need the synthetic??

Comment

I found these two things on another site. Very interesting reading. Very clear and easy to understand.

And

Have fun learning.

Roman

Comment

Re: Is putting Mobil 1 in 1980 GS1100E with 89,500 miles ok?

Originally posted by Rudi
        I just got this bike and I want to make sure it lasts. I'd like to put Mobil 1 in it....is there any danger in doing so with a bike so old?

Please help! Thanks!

Rudi
        San Antonio, TX :roll:
        Just do it--you wont hurt the motor--if it leaks then switch back--i started using synthetic oil in my 1100e at over 40k miles and i can only attribute any leakage that i have had to leaving my petcock on and diluting the oil or a worn O ring in the auto cam adjuster. After a couple of oil changes(just after the petcock thing) the seeping stopped again(still using synthetic oil)- it wont dammage your engine and if you experience clutch slippage the chances are that you clutch need attention. As long as there is oil in your engine i dont think tha you can do dammage. If there are any exceptions to this, i'm sure someone will tell us about them

Comment

Roman, that was a very interesting link on the oil. I have been using the Delvac 1300 in my Gold Wing for about 2500 miles now, will have a good look at it when I change oil in a couple of weeks. At $5.88 a gallon at WalMart, it is an inexpensive alternative to synthetic. The only hesitations I have about using the synthetics is that I don't feel they are worth the extra cost unless you are going to extend you oil change interval. The one time I tried using a synthetic in my GS1100E, I had leekage around almost every seam on the engine. Since I would rather ride than clean my bike, I switched back at the next oil change.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

[The only hesitations I have about using the synthetics is that I don't feel they are worth the extra cost unless you are going to extend you oil change interval. The one time I tried using a synthetic in my GS1100E, I had leekage around almost every seam on the engine. Since I would rather ride than clean my bike, I switched back at the next oil change.[/quote]

Kinda how I feel about them 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
              [The only hesitations I have about using the synthetics is that I don't feel they are worth the extra cost unless you are going to extend you oil change interval. The one time I tried using a synthetic in my GS1100E, I had leekage around almost every seam on the engine. Since I would rather ride than clean my bike, I switched back at the next oil change.
              Kinda how I feel about them 8O[/quote]
              im with you on all that al i just use it for the extra slippage on the bearings . I was fortunate not to get leaks--probably because i only put it in right after i installed the 1166 kit

Comment

When you switched over to synthetics, did you notice an increase in fuel economy?

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Originally posted by Whittey
                  When you switched over to synthetics, did you notice an increase in fuel economy?

-=Whittey=-
                  All I noticed was that the oil temperature was better--lower--wwhen i put the 1166 kit in my oil twmperature went up a bit and when i installed the synthetic oil it went back to normal something like that

Comment

Just got it with 89,500 miles on it? Holy miracle mile, Batman! I have done a lot of research on oil- it's an interesting topic of gearhead conversation. Syn oil should not do any damage to anything. Your bike should not leak anywhere with any kind of fluid. If it does, it is a sign of somthing that needs attention. I have heard stories of clutch slippage happening more with syn oil, but it doesn't really make sense, mechanically speaking. I myself have used both syn and dyno oil from time to time with no change in perfromance what so ever. A lot of people believe that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic oil- that's not really true either. It's not the viscosity breakdown that nessecitates an oil change (or shouldn't, for those of us who value our rides) but rather the fact that a certain degree of normal wear on engine parts can spoil the lube with forgin matter, not to mention the additives that are placed in commercial gasoline, and... I'm gonna stop now. Do some reading in previous posts, there is a lot of oil related conversation of value there. Simply put, syn oil doesn't hurt anything, but it won't help the bike last longer. That's what a good manual and tool box are for.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      Just got it with 89,500 miles on it? Holy miracle mile, Batman! I have done a lot of research on oil- it's an interesting topic of gearhead conversation. Syn oil should not do any damage to anything. Your bike should not leak anywhere with any kind of fluid. If it does, it is a sign of somthing that needs attention. I have heard stories of clutch slippage happening more with syn oil, but it doesn't really make sense, mechanically speaking. I myself have used both syn and dyno oil from time to time with no change in perfromance what so ever. A lot of people believe that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic oil- that's not really true either. It's not the viscosity breakdown that nessecitates an oil change (or shouldn't, for those of us who value our rides) but rather the fact that a certain degree of normal wear on engine parts can spoil the lube with forgin matter, not to mention the additives that are placed in commercial gasoline, and... I'm gonna stop now. Do some reading in previous posts, there is a lot of oil related conversation of value there. Simply put, syn oil doesn't hurt anything, but it won't help the bike last longer. That's what a good manual and tool box are for.
                      What is the purpose of using synthetic oil???

Comment

Just do it--you wont hurt the motor--if it leaks then switch back--i started using synthetic oil in my 1100e at over 40k miles and i can only attribute any leakage that i have had to leaving my petcock on and diluting the oil or a worn O ring in the auto cam adjuster.

Oh I can't resist, I just can't resist.....Scotty you forgot to mention the 20 or 30 times you've dropped it in the driveway...he he he...

Comment

Synthetic oil was designed by General Electric in the 1940's to lubricate turbine engines. These engines have a normal operating temp in excess of 800 degrees. Depending on the configuration of the oil, dyno oil breaks down somewhere between 300-500 degrees. If I felt synthetic oil was any better for my bike I would gladly buy it at any cost. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't make much of a difference either way, as long as you change it when it is dirty.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                            Synthetic oil was designed by General Electric in the 1940's to lubricate turbine engines. These engines have a normal operating temp in excess of 800 degrees. Depending on the configuration of the oil, dyno oil breaks down somewhere between 300-500 degrees. If I felt synthetic oil was any better for my bike I would gladly buy it at any cost. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't make much of a difference either way, as long as you change it when it is dirty.
                            the actual fact is that we all use what we want

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
                              Just do it--you wont hurt the motor--if it leaks then switch back--i started using synthetic oil in my 1100e at over 40k miles and i can only attribute any leakage that i have had to leaving my petcock on and diluting the oil or a worn O ring in the auto cam adjuster.

Oh I can't resist, I just can't resist.....Scotty you forgot to mention the 20 or 30 times you've dropped it in the driveway...he he he...
                              I noticed that in a driveway drop 8O synthetic oil landed 50 percent softer than dyno oil. The problem was that it didnt make my butt hurt any less This is an un desputable fact

Comment

Working...
                              X