Autolite plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autolite plugs

Just curious if anyone has used Autolites in their GS's?

As my last couple posts in the Tech section, I've had a plug cap go bad. The only shop I found who had NGK caps told me I needed 2 different kinds. Unfortunately I didn't bring an old one with me. When will I learn?

Anyway, only the straight ones will work for the amount of the wire I have left on my stock coils, so I can only replace 2 tonight.

My question is this: When my power lacking troubles began, the first thing I did was change plugs. After my carb cleaning session this is what happened.
    My local Discount Auto (who was the only one who stocked my NGK plugs) merged with Advanced Auto. Now, they don't seem to carry my NGK's (or so their computer says)! They told me these Autolite plugs cross referenced - and they WERE in the motorcycle section. So I got them thinking "What's the harm?"
    P.S. - Autozone is the only other local and they don't have the NGK either?

OK - still with me here? Sorry to keep rambling.

When I get the new plug caps, I realize that 2 of the 4 aren't going to work. So I pick up my old NGK plugs I kept laying around and I use them to check for good spark (rather than taking all the plugs out - I just used the 4 I had on my bench) get 4 good blue sparks. I go for a ride thinking "Oh yeah, this is going to fix EVERYTHING!". Only to be disappointed. The bike IS running on all 4 now, so that is better, but still not GREAT. I get back home and let the motor cool. I decide to take out ALL the Autolites and check the spark, about 1 or 2 was kinda weak? So I put ALL 4 NGK's in the boots and they are ALL nice and fat blue? I put the NGK's in and she fired right up, albeit that she still needed her choke on. It seemed to run better.
    I can't taker her out tonight , but I was wondering if anyone else has used Autolite's in their GS?

Well, I would stick with the NGK personally. IT might help, if you go to the store, and ask to look at a parts/accessories catalogue. MOTOVAN
    www.motovan.com should have them.

You will need two different kinds, although its not necessary (I have all the same, they just fit oddly....i ordered the same sizes!

also, when you reattach the caps, you should put your finger on them (when the bike is running ) and see if you get shocked. if you do, it means they're not screwed into the solid-core wires enough. either that, or the rubber boot between the cap and wire is a little shoddy. You can rub some di-electric grease on the wire before screwing in the cap, and this should also solve it.

hope this helps.

poot

Comment

NGK plugs are crap!!!! simple as that, I once had to buy 8 plugs to get two that sparked at all. I am trying NGK Iridium plugs and am NOT impressed, I recommend Bosch plugs,if you dont mind spending a little extra, order Bosch XR2CS's I ran them for four years in the Tractor before they even needed cleaning, I replaced them after five years with NGK Iridiums ( I tried to order Bosch whilst an NGK rep was in the store, so he sent me a set for free 8O ) I am not impressed with them at all.
      Autolite are very hard to get in Oz,I have heard that there quality has dropped recently, they used to be excellent.
      Dink

Comment

I run the autolites and have not had any problems with'em.....

Comment

I have run Autolight in my cars for years NO problems. I have not had any problems running the NGK in the bike

Comment

If I remember correctly, the heat range incruments are much larger with Autolites. I think one heat range Autolite will cross to 3, or possibly 4, heat ranges of NGK. This was 20 years ago, may be different now.

Comment

I'm with Lynn...I use Autolites in my car with no issues, and NGK in the bike.

Dave, you can order NGK plugs online. If you get better performance with them, why think twice about it?

~Adam

Comment

Here's my .02 worth. I've not had good luck running anything but NGKs in my bikes, whether they be 2 strokes, 4 strokes, singles or multi's. In my Auto's I run whatever the mfg. recommends. BTW, I usually purchasee my NGK's form Pep Boys for about 1/2 the price of MC shops.

Comment

Pep Boys, Haven't tried them yet. Not one very close, but I'll check.

Haven't tried Napa either. Those 2 and Advanced and Autozone are about all we have around here.

I've used Autolites in my cars with out any trouble. I've seen the Champion "Sport" Plugs at Wal Mart, but @ $3 per plug, not worth the Risk.

Comment

yeah, pep boys carries them-- i get my B8ES plugs from them for $.99 or $1.50 apiece instead of $2.00-$3.00 apiece.

Comment

Man this topic is as good as the oil question.

Myself, I have found that my pig eats up NGK B8s pertty quick AND they don't perform as well as the hotter B7 plug (in my machine 1000e).
                      I also had a hard time finding the Autolights (tapered platnem) without special order.

So the last time my machine needed a new set I threw in some cheep
                      AC Delco plugs. They seem to have good longevity without cleaning and good snap. Not as good of pop that I get from the B7s but better then the B8s.

Just my story
                      Rico

Comment

I use NGK B8-ES (as recommended stock) in mine and they're just peachy. I've never had a problem.

Of course, I have Dyna coils and wires, which would probably fire anything just fine.

Anyway, Advance Auto Parts does carry NGK plugs (at least the ones in Indiana do), but they will draw a blank if you try to look up B8-ES. They don't have a cross-reference, for some reason.

Look them up by the "stock number", which is 4011. Pep Boys carries NGK, too, and I think you also need the stock number there.

I don't know why they are numbered this way -- probably too many dyslexic parts monkeys out there. Maybe the numbers are harder to screw up.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a set of "Splitfires" in my 1100E and last summer I thought I'd put in a new set of NGKs... ugh, it just didn't run very well. I put the Splitfires back in and it ran good again. Go figure.

Comment

I run autolites in all my cars with no problems ever, I run an auto lite in my 2 cycle 250 enduro with no problems yet "The plug has been in the 250 at least sence the registration expired in 1987" I got the motor unsezed and have been runing the 250 for the past couple months with the plug that was in it when I got it "Autolite" on a worse note. I ran autolites in my ATV with horable results. I was replacing the plug every 2 miles "literaly" Not I run the recomended NGK in the ATV but went up one heat range. so far so good. My GS850G also has autolites in it and so far its hard to say. The bike has problems but I dont think its the plugs. I thinks its the fuel system.

Comment

Myself, I have found that my pig eats up NGK B8s pertty quick AND they don't perform as well as the hotter B7 plug (in my machine 1000e).
                              Ever try the NGK B8RES? It's a resistor plug, seemed to work good in my 550 that fouled plugs a lot. You may have better luck with them.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X