Autolite plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AOD
    Ever try the NGK B8RES? It's a resistor plug, seemed to work good in my 550 that fouled plugs a lot. You may have better luck with them.

~Adam
    The resistor just reduces radio interference. Since the original plug caps have a built-in resistor, you should not need the resistor type plugs.

Comment

USE----> Any platinum plugs with the smallest, finest center electrode that you can find. I believe Bosch has the finest center electrode.

Why? The finer the electrode, the more concentrated the E-field is off the electrode so the hotter AND more reliable the spark. I was able to jet one size richer main jet when I went to the fine wire platinum plug. (And not all platinum plugs have a fine electrode - the autolites have a smaller center electrode than stock, but still not a fine wire type-so they are better than stock, but not the best)

This is why people go to ACCEL coils - for hotter spark. Guess what, fine wire platinum plugs do the same thing too. For that matter, do both. You get a reliable spark....less missing at high speeds...why else was I able to jet richer?

Regarding old Autolite heat ranges - just use a current cross reference manual - that's what they are for - to tell you what the equivalent plug is regarding, type, thread and center electrode reach, and heat range.

Lastly, I have heard Bosch quality for plugs for my 96 Toyota Camry have gone downhill in the last 3 years or so with problems with plugs open circuiting in a short amount of time. Just FYI - I don't know if their overall quality is lower...and this was hearsay from local mechanics.

Comment

USE----> Any platinum plugs with the smallest, finest center electrode that you can find. I believe Bosch has the finest center electrode.

Why? The finer the electrode, the more concentrated the E-field is off the electrode so the hotter AND more reliable the spark. I was able to jet one size richer main jet when I went to the fine wire platinum plug. (And not all platinum plugs have a fine electrode - the autolites have a smaller center electrode than stock, but still not a fine wire type-so they are better than stock, but not the best)

This is why people go to ACCEL coils - for hotter spark. Guess what, fine wire platinum plugs do the same thing too. For that matter, do both. You get a reliable spark....less missing at high speeds...why else was I able to jet richer?

Regarding old Autolite heat ranges - just use a current cross reference manual - that's what they are for - to tell you what the equivalent plug is regarding, type, thread and center electrode reach, and heat range.

Lastly, I have heard Bosch quality for plugs for my 96 Toyota Camry have gone downhill in the last 3 years or so with problems with plugs open circuiting in a short amount of time. Just FYI - I don't know if their overall quality is lower...and this was hearsay from local mechanics.

Comment

I tried what you suggested, Tony, I just found a new cross refrence & both the NGK D8EA & the NGK D9EA are crossed to an Autolite 4132. No D7EA nor D10EA were listed, so I don't know how many NGK heat ranges The one Autolite would cross with.

Comment

Working...
          X