Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E - Down Shifting Problems

Hello out there...

I just bought a 1980 GS550e with 12k miles a couple of days ago. On my ride home I noticed that it would cut off when I'd down shift quickly from 55mph to a quick stop at traffic lights. I usually click all the way down to 2nd or 1st depending on what the situation calls for. I never noticed it before when I test road it. Wondering if anybody had an explaination for why it does this. It's been a while since I've owned a bike, but I can't say I've had this happen before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bj

Could be dirty carbs, What is the idle set at?? Should be around
    1200 rpm

Comment

Yeah, dirty carbs and something wrong about the bowl float height??????

Another thing is while downshifting, if the bike has a too rich or too lean condition, downshifting and blipping the throttle can cause a lean or rich hesitation. Check your plug color.

And did you just put gas in it. Could have gotten bad gas?

Comment

1980 GS550 e- Down Shifting Problems

Thanks for the response

It just may be the carbs but the bike starts and shifts up throughout the bands without any hesitation, pops, etc. One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't idle quite right if the choke isn't slightly up. I considered this ok b/c of the cold weather. Idle is around 1000 to 1500.

As for the gas, well it was at half a tank and i don't know how old it could be.

Comment

To clarify, when I said rich or lean hesitation, if the bike is running too lean or rich, when you blip the throttle on downshift, the RPM's will "sag" before the motor carburation recovers and therefore the bike can stall, particularly if you run your idle RPM below 1100. I recommend 1200 to 1300 idle setting. - Dieter

Comment

Working...
          X