Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Timing

Hi All;
    I have an all stock '83 850 with the electronic ignition set up...signal generator/ ignitor unit (no points).
    Is there a way to retard the timing ? Can I do this by rotating the base plate?? What direction should I go to retard timing ?? Clockwise or counter-clockwise??

Thanks for any help.

Ride Tall...Seb

Seb The base timing should be 12 deg below 1500 and 32 above 2500.To retard timing move the plate counter clockwise in the direction the engine turns.Advance by turning clockwise.I wouldn't adv or retard more than +\- 4 degs.Advancing too far might cause detonation which isn't good for engine parts.Why do you want to retard?

Comment

Thanks Hoyt;
      I've been getting a lot of valve clatter when the engine is hot and I try to accelerate too fast in the upper gears. I've changed the octane...was using 87...went to 93...this sort of helped a bit. I don't have this problem when the engine is cooler. But excessive slow stop-n-go traffic gives me a lot of pinging. Problem with air-cooled engines I guess too.
      I thought that maybe retarding the timing might help this condition.

When you specify degrees...how do I measure this at 1500 or 2300 RPM's ??

Thanks

Comment

You can use a timing light with engine running.You may also have a lean condition cauaing it or too hot sparkplugs.Check the color of plugs.

Comment

Thanks Hoyt,
          I'll check the plugs. Will keep ya posted.

Comment

Working...
          X