Exaust patch help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exaust patch help please?

Hi. I have an exaust leak right down past the bend on my #3 header. The hole is about the size of a #2 pencil. Normaly I dont notice it unless I take my bike to the local pond. The dirt roads leave a huge clowd of dust with a leak like this. Anyway back to the point. Latly 3500RPM and above produces an engine knock sound that IO have folowed right down the this leak. I eventualy plan next year to replace the whole exaust system but can aford it as of now. Can I patch it with somthing like a screw or JB Weld or both? How reliable will a patch in this area be? Thanks in advance for the help.

tape

At most auto parts stores you can buy foil exhaust repair tape, a 2 minute fix and a roll would last you quite a while if it blows off/falls off. I have used it before on a car exhaust and it worked quite well as a temporary fix.

LS

Comment

I have a roll of stuff "Looks like a fuit roll up" That I purchased for my car years ago and opted to replace the mufler instead. I thoiught about using it but I am worried about how it will look on the bike. Yes I know I have bigger problems than looks but my exaust is nice just nice with a hole Dose this repair tape need to be wraped all the way around the pipe? I would asume it would. Anyway thanks for the tip. I will give it a try tomorow.

Comment

The stuff I have used has a metallic chrome "shiny" finish, if the pipe is a normal chrome it should blend pretty well. It is really sticky stuff and I would think that you could cut a small square, just enough to cover the hole. In your case I would guess about a square inch would do.

LS

Comment

Cool thanks. I think my patch rol is red if I remember corectly. Either way it wont matter if I can just use a squar inch then the patch would be on the bottom and not seen. HMMMMMMM I hope the directions are still with it LOL just in case they are not should the pipe be cold when I aply it? Should I clamp it on and let it thouroughlky set before riding? A small run down or how to would be greatly apreciated. Thanks agan.

Comment

If the hole is no bigger than a pencil, you could just use a hose clamp as that would be wide enough to cover the hole. No patching compound needed.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

This website is for sale! midwayautosupply.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, midwayautosupply.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This is basically what I was talking about, the stuff I have looked to have a more polished finish, its basically a high temp duct tape

LS

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                If the hole is no bigger than a pencil, you could just use a hose clamp as that would be wide enough to cover the hole. No patching compound needed.

Earl
                As always, Earl has the most simple solution!

Comment

I tried the muffler foil on the Y for my bike....burned off

Tried another, where you dip the stuff in a liquid before putting it on. ....burned off.

Tried a muffler compound that comes in a tube....worked OK for a couple of days, then blew off

Finally cut a small metal patch, 20 ga steel, hammered it to fit the contour, put some of the muffler cement under it to ensure a tight fit, and tied it in place with a stainless hose clamp.

It went on in summer...is still there.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you ride it up to my house I'll weld it for you...

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                      If you ride it up to my house I'll weld it for you...
                      Now theres a great offer 8)

I wonder if i'll hear the explosion from up here in Canada

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                        Exactly, the way I covered a very small hole in mine, over ten years ago.

Comment

I too had a small hole on the muffler, right before the baffle. I got a $1.50 hose clamp, painted it with Grill paint and looks great to me. Looks like it belongs there.

Comment

Were is your house? Close hopfully welding sounds like the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw
                              Were is your house? Close hopfully welding sounds like the best bet.
                              Jason, I sent you a PM with some details....

Comment

Working...
                              X