Valve Adjust and Tappet adjuster wrench size for 1985 GS 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjust and Tappet adjuster wrench size for 1985 GS 700

I'm getting ready to adjust the valves on my '85 GS 700 E and replace the valve cover gaskets and I was wondering if anyone know the size of the tappet adjuster wrench that I will need to adjust the tappets ? I don't have one of these tools and the manual I have shows a digram of the wrench but doesn't give a size. I'm going to order the gasket set from bikebandit.com and I figured while I was ordering I might order the wrench also, but I need the size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... By the way...GREAT WEBSITE!

You will need a box wrench to loosen/tighten the locknut- It is either 8 or 9 mm, I don't offhand remember which- in addition to a wrentch to turn the adjusters. I have not used the stock adjusters for many years but remember the heads are square shaped and that the special Suzuki tool to turn them is not very good. I had one and remember that it had a lot of slop in the socket and was hard to use. I think you could find something else to use- even a small cresent wrench would be better. Once the locknut is loose, they turn very easily-the hardest thing is to hold the adjuster steady while you tighten the locknut.

My adjusters are longer than stock and use an allen head for adjustment. Remember to stuff a large clean rag into the center galley to prevent any dropped tools from going into the engine. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED

Comment

Not sure if they are the same size as mine, but I'd be surprised if they aren't. My adjusters are 3mm. Good luck finding a spanner that size. I went to Sears and bought the smallest spanner they had, 4mm, then heated it up and bent it to fit. The wrench came in a small packet sold for ignition tools.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

For tappet wrenches try MotionPro:
        Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Comment

I use a square drive(1/8") dry wall screw to hold the stem. Works good. Also, after adjusting and locking the nut I apply a small amount of "blue" locktite for a little insurance. Adjusting nuts loose in the top end can lead to excessive damage

Comment

Thanks! That helps a lot. Especially like the locktite idea. I wish I were the guy/gale who invented that stuff...

Comment

Just DON't use RED locktite. The blue is considered removable.

Comment

Working...
              X