No announcement yet.

1150 RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, so what about ignition timing. The stock backing plate is fixed. Do you slot the holes so you can adjust it? Also Earl you mentioned intake leaks, are the GS manifold known to leak? I assume they would need replacing if they leak? again thanks for all the input. Mike J

Comment

The intakes can leak, though I think the 1150 is better then most as it doesn't use the intake boots that screw on. On the 1150 you can also use radiator hose to replace the bad rubber I believe. As for timing you can slot the holes, or you can get another ignition, like the Dyna S.

Comment

Yeah, I just found my intake boots to have lots of cracks on the mating surfaces. Make sure to take them completely off and squeeze them to see if they are cracked.

Luke, do you use radiator hose for your intake boots? I might look into doing this, but am concerned of how the carbs are supported- with my pod filters, it seems the boots are the only thing holding the carb body.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have stock boots, and they're in good shape, but I've heard the radiator hose thing is something they do on drag bikes. You're right that the only support for the carbs is the boots, unless you make a hanger, this can be as simple as a zip tie to the frame. Probably not a bad idea regardless of what boots you use.

Comment

Once more, the guys already beat me to the answers. :-) :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              Like earl said, in 3rd gear it should just keep going till engine trouble is almost a sure thing. As far as speed in 3rd, I don't know, but in 5th it's apprx 15 mph, per 1000 rpm. 9000 rpm = apprx 135 mph,
              Motor Cyclist shows the 85 GS1150E speed at redline (9500) at:
              55 mph in 1st
              77 mph in 2nd
              100 mph in 3rd
              122 mph in 4th
              143 mph in 5th

Projected best 1/4 mile: 10.8 sec @ 127.4 mph

Pretty darn respectable for a 21 year old stock machine!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
              X