Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100 Anyone running K&N Pods without a Dynojet kit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Anyone running K&N Pods without a Dynojet kit ?

Looking for a baseline carb setup for a 1981 GS1100 with a 4-1 exhaust and K&N pod filters. I searched the posts and there seems to be a lot of people unhappy with the dynojet kit for the money. Does anyone have a good setup without the Dynojet kit ? I am considering going up a couple of sizes on the mains, up one on the pilot jet and shimming the needles.

I'm running a dynojet kit with pods and a Supertrapp 4 into 1 on my 83' GS1100E (82' Katana engine and carbs) using the DJ138 mains and the DJ needles at 4th clip from the top. It didn't come with pilot jets but I upped mine from 47.5's to 50's. I believe the a/f screws are at 2.5 turns out and I left the air jets alone. It runs well after a lot of trial and error and pulls great all the way through.

edit: I misread the post and thought you said with pods. I would follow the stage 1 instructions for using the kit with a stock airbox but would at least go with a K&N stock replacement filter.

Comment

Does anyone have a good setup without the Dynojet kit ?
      Check out this link:

I haven't used it yet, but I am planning to go the same route as you with my 82 1100E. I have heard so many complaints about the Dynojet kits that I figure it won't be any worse going it alone and starting from scratch than starting with the kit...

Mark

Comment

I've got the 81 1100 with stock air box and V&H 4 into 1. I don't think the jet kit is Dyno-Jet. It has 125 mains, stock pilots and 170 air jets. The needles are stock, as they have no adjustable clips. It has a flat spot, but it might be ingition related. Then again, it could be the needles.

My 83 1100 has a Mac 4-2-1, K&N pod filters and what I think is the stage 3 jet kit. It runs real smooth except right off the line there is a tiny bit of hesitation. Except for that I think it is set up great as follows:

138 mains
        40 pilots
        180 air jets
        needles in middle position

I get no popping on decel, smooth, even power, perfect idle and great mileage. The hesitation off the line is rarely an issue, I only need to twist the throttle another tiny bit and it's non-existant. I am slightly concerned about my power at wide open throttle, but that could also be ingition/spark related. Or because I am too fat. One or the other.

I didn't set the carbs up on the 83, so I don't know what a K&N jet kit consists of. Does it only come with on size of jets for each jet needed or does it have a range of jets you can play with?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro,
          I have a 1980 1100E with a stock airbox a K&N high flow filter a V&H 4 into 1 megaphone and a Dyno stage 1 jet kit. I am running 110 mains at this time and the Beast has never ran better. When I purchaced my jet kit I only recived the main jets so I assume the rest is stock. I am not a great carb guy so I am wondering where do you get all of the other jets. Did I miss something? I am also looking for some info. on carbs jetting. I just do not have the knowledge that I need and know shop will talk with me on the subject.

The Beast :twisted:

Comment

With a stock airbox and single aftermarket air filter, you might be fine with just the mains. Did you install the jet kit? Did you change the needles? I am a little curious becuase I think the stock mains are 112.5's or 115's. Normally with a higher flow filter and a more restrictive pipe you would install larger jets, but who knows.

Anyway, you say it has never run better, so that should be a good indication that you are all set. Keep the carbs synched and do some plug reads at all different rpm's and go from there.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X