GS850GN - ignition fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GN - ignition fault

HI! I've recently had a few problems with my 1979 GS850GN.

Engine starts up fine and runs well for 30 sec. or more,. perhaps several minutes, and then it dies...

If I try to start again, it won't fire the first time, but 2. time ok. It dies again and if I push the start-button shortly, and push it again to start it runs again but dies sooner or later...

If I'm lucky if I can drive a mile or so, and it dies out, but a short push on the start-button while I'm driving and it goes again!

It has later-fitted transistor-ignition, and it has allways been driving very well and reliable.

I think it might be some kind of ignition fault, but which?

Any idea of what the cause might be?

The exact same thing happened to me after a coil swap with the wrong coils.

Comment

Yep, coils and amplifier might be mismatched. Have you recently converted from points/changed coils?

Comment

It has been driving with the transitor ignition now for 5-6 years with no problems untill now, and I haven't changed anything that might have caused the trouble - could it be the AMU or perhaps the ignition switch?

Comment

You could try bypassing the ignition switch by running a temporary wire from the battery (+) to the coils. (Connect it to the orange/white connector at the coils). If the bike runs ok like this, the problem is likely to be with the ignition/kill switch or associated wiring.
          Held og lykke!

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answers - I'll give it a try with bypassing the ignition switch - I'll come back when I've tried! Regards Ib

Comment

GS850

OK, everyone looked at electrical, but I had a simular problem a few years back............
              It was the fuel filter (attached screen) in the tank! check that before you start ripping coils out.

Comment

It sure sounds like fuel starvation to me.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think you have a fuel feed problem. The next time you start up the bike, let it run until it dies as usual. Then turn the ignition off and remove the drain plugs on each carb float bowl. I suspect you will find there is no fuel in the bowls. If there is and a normal fuel amount is in each bowl (aprox 1 1/2 to 2 ounces, then it is not a fuel problem.

The first thing you must do is determine whether it is a fuel problem or an electrical problem.

Earl
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hi Earl!

That's what I thought the first time, but I have checked the carburettors and the fuel level and amount is ok.

I'm sure it is an iginition problem.

When I'm driving the road, and the problem occur, the engine suddenly dies and is braking the bike down, and I just have to activate or rather touch the starter button very shortly, and the engine spins instantly and the bike is running again - often followed by a "big bang" caused by the fuel absorbed in the exhaust system...

It is as if the electrical impulse from the starter does something to the electrical circuit/electronics to make it work again...

I haven't had the time to bypass the ignition switch yet, but I'll let you all know when I have tried it.

Regards Ib

Comment

check/clean the contacts in the engine kill switch on the right handle bar switch pod, (above the starter button) a dirty contact in that switch can cause symptoms like that, also check the plug for the harness for the right handle bar.

Comment

Hi Leon,

I think you've got a point there - I'll try it - thanks!

Regards Ib

Comment

Working...
                        X