How Powerful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power rating

I beleive that unless power is expressed as bhp (brake horse power), it is as measured at the crank and often expressed as hp. There are power losses through the drive system and I seem to recall this is about 10 percent for chain-driven bikes.

I have no doubt the old 1100s put out 108 at the crank as they are blistering fast when running well. This would be about 100 at the wheel.

Patrick

Comment

BHP 650 gs

Hate to burst people bubble but the stock old gs650 only made like 56.8 bhp. You can read about it in one of the articles posted on the xn85 website. www.xn85turbo.com

Robert

Comment

Suzuki was claiming about 105 hp for the new GS1100E, but that was measured at the countershaft sprocket.

Comment

I had my 1100GL dyno'd at a Harley shop ( the only working dyno in town ). After getting a ton of comments like, 'you should get a real bike' or 'I hope that rice burner doesn't blow up', I shut them up with a respectable 87 hp. The guy that did the test said that it would be impossible to get that out of a stock Harley.

Comment

Don't Harlry Sportsters put out around 60 hp?

Comment

Yeah, the 883 does but the 1200, I'm told, puts out about 85.

Comment

The last rear wheel figure I saw for the sporty version of the 1200 Sportster was just under 60 hp. It still uses the evolution engine doesn't it? The 88 twin cam that I ride doesn't put out much more. We're talking showroom stock bikes of course.

Comment

You could be correct. I'm just going by word-of-mouth.

Comment

Working...
                  X