carb 78 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb 78 GS550

Is there an o-ring involved in the needle valve on these older carbs?
    Where do the o-rings go?

RG

There should not be an o-ring for your float needle valve seat. There's a fiber (stock) gasket that seals the brass seat. It may have been changed to a metal gasket (aftermarket).
    It goes right over the seat.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Is there a reason the fiber gasket wouold not be reusable?

As a replacement may take a bit of looking.

RG

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer
        Is there a reason the fiber gasket wouold not be reusable?
        RG
        I've re-used them before on a carb to carb basis. As part of a complete rebuild I always replace them.
        If your bike was to leak fuel through the bowl overflow line after sitting awhile, and you're sure the floats/float valve are operating correctly, then you could suspect a poor sealing float valve seat gasket.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Where would I find replacements? My local suzuki dealer has little interest in bikes make before 2000.

RG

Comment

Where would I find replacements? My local suzuki dealer has little interest in bikes make before 2000.
            RG
            Rebuild kits that include a new float valve and seat will also include the metal replacement washer.
            If you're just looking for the gasket, try Bikebandit. Let me know if you find them.

Comment

I ordered 4 valve seats from BB. I think 10.00 for 4 washers is steep but if it works it is a good value.

rg

Comment

I ordered 4 valve seats from BB. I think 10.00 for 4 washers is steep but if it works it is a good value.
                rg
                Wow! $2.50 each for the valve seat washers? What do you mean you ordered 4 "valve seats"?

Comment

the valve seat washers were 1.05 each from bike bandit and then 6.00 for shipping. do the math. I'm not complaining if it addresses the issues it is a small price to pay. If I had my wits about me I would have bought more from BB to offset the shipping cost.

RG

Comment

I just rebuilt my carbs with the kits from http://www.siriusconinc.com/default.asp - about $20 a piece.

The kits for our 77-79 GS550's are good, as they have most of the o-rings, needle, fuel float pintle, and seat.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X