oil cooler/retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler/retrofit

I am considering retrofitting a stock oil cooler from an 1150 to my '83 gs1100e. I have the cooler, banjo bolts, washers, etc. I do not have the necessary 1150 filter cover. Is that a necessity or can I modify my 1100 cover, plug the oil gallery in the case or employ some other mod...or do I need to just bite the bullet and spring for the 1150 cover.

I keep reading about the special oil filter covers, with fittings for the oil coolers. The 1100 E's have the same places to connect the oil cooler lines that the 1150's have. The cooler lines connect where the 2 bolts (apprx 15mm heads) are located. apprx. 1/2 in off the filter cover on both sides, nearly even with the bottom of the cover. NO special cover needed. All 16 valve 1100 engines have these fittings.

Comment

Rick you DO need to swap the cover though, as the 1100 is open , whereas the 1150 cover has a block off in the corner, without the block off in the cover you will get no flow through the cooler.
      Yes bite the bullet and order an 1150 oil filter cover.
      Dink

Comment

Here is a good article on this subject;

I agree with Dink in that the best way to go is with a 1150 oil cover. Someone around here posted pictures of the differences between the 1100 and 1150 covers a long time ago...they may still be available.

I did the same modification with a cooler from a Buell XB9 mounted off to the left side of the motor so that the cooling air reaching the head is not blocked or pre-heated.

Hap

Comment

Thanks for all great input. The article confirmed my suspicions/concerns
          about blocking off the oil passage from the pump completely as it did not
          seem that was what Suzuki had intended or would have achieved by casting the cover with no relief in the corner.

Anybody have an extra 1150 filter cover for sale?

Comment

oil cooler on gs750l

I am in the process of rebuilding my gs750 16 valve motor and i am installing the wisco big bore kit i think it bumps displacement to 814cc.
            My motor does not have the pressure sensor on the back of the motor its in the oil filter cover. does any one know how to fit a cooler on this motor? can a oil filter housing from a different motor be used ???
            I am concerned about heat build up with the big bore kit

thanks for any help !!!

Comment

Re: oil cooler on gs750l

Originally posted by graham harron
              I am in the process of rebuilding my gs750 16 valve motor and i am installing the wisco big bore kit i think it bumps displacement to 814cc.
              My motor does not have the pressure sensor on the back of the motor its in the oil filter cover. does any one know how to fit a cooler on this motor? can a oil filter housing from a different motor be used ???
              I am concerned about heat build up with the big bore kit

thanks for any help !!!
              Where are you? and what oil are you using?
              Dink

Comment

oil cooler

boston ma usa
                I am using 10-40 oil as specified by suzuki 8)

Comment

Working...
                X